UNFPA has been operating in Haiti since the 1970s. It contributes to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including good health and well-being, the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women and adolescent girls, with an emphasis on poverty eradication. Its objective is to "achieve universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights and reduce maternal mortality with a view to accelerating progress in the implementation of the Program of Action resulting from the International Conference on population and development, in order to improve the living conditions of women, adolescents and young people, based on population dynamics, human rights and gender equality”.
In Haiti, UNFPA works in concert with national authorities, civil society - including the private business sector, academia, religious leaders and human rights organizations.
In close collaboration with the UNFPA Representative, the UNFPA Deputy Representative plays a leading role in strengthening the Country’s capacity to implement the ICPD Programme of Action within the context of its national development efforts for the achievement of the SDGs, thus ensuring national ownership. S/He is primarily responsible for the formulation and delivery of the UNFPA Country programme, projecting the programme of the organization, promoting at the national level the goals of the programme and ensuring the integration of issues of population, sexual and reproductive health, and gender in the broader development agenda. The Deputy Representative plays a leadership role also within the UNFPA country team, providing an example of creative programme development and sharing knowledge and insights with staff to facilitate broad country programme management. Key activities include:
National Capacity Development
Partnerships and Advocacy
Our ideal candidate has:
- Advanced university degree in one or more of the following disciplines: International Development, Public Policy and Administration, Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Public Health, Sociology, Demography, or other Social Science field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development at the international level.
- Experience leading and managing complex development and humanitarian programmes in civil society organizations and/or the United Nations
- Good understanding of human rights, population and development, sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender equality, and their place in the development agenda;
- Strong high-level negotiation skills;
- Good knowledge and understanding of UN and International development frameworks and the sustainable development goals;
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results;
- Identify strongly with the United Nations values and principles, and the Mandate of the United Nations Population Fund, UNFPA, in particular;
- Demonstrable management and field experience is essential, specifically in complex countries or humanitarian situations.
- Demonstrated ability to sustain and advance current partnerships and to develop new partnerships with untraditional partners.
- Demonstrated innovative thinking, creativity and calculated risk taking.
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic vision and focus by successfully communicating and implementing priorities based on clear deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate obstacles and successfully adapt team priorities in order to develop alternative plans.
- Demonstrated ability to take responsibility for team decisions, providing the rationale as appropriate.
- Demonstrated successful management of a complex and uncertain environment negatively affecting colleagues’ well-being.
- Demonstrated ability to provide team managers with the needed direction to achieve results and hold them accountable.
- Accepts hardship of living and working in substandard conditions (container based) in “E” duty station.
- Handles high level work pressure and stress positively, is a strong team player.
- Adopts humanitarian/emergency work modes in case of disasters and political crisis.
- Coaches national staff.
- Fluency in French and English is required.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.