Under the direct supervision of the UNFPA Director of the Sub-regional Office for the Caribbean (SROC), the SRH Advisor is the principal adviser at the SROC for integrated technical and programme advice on SRHR with focus on adolescents for the English and Dutch Speaking Caribbean. The Technical Adviser works in an integrated manner with the technical and programme staff in the Regional Office and SROC.
The Technical Adviser provides strategic technical and programmatic leadership for the SRO in SRHR to ensure that capacity building, advocacy and policy dialogue work reflects UNFPA’s policy and programme policies as well as current thinking and academic advance in substantive areas affecting the ICPD Programme of Action. S/he/they maintains primary responsibility for coordination of the provision of technical assistance and programmatic support to the countries of the sub-region in SRHR, with a specific focus on maternal and perinatal health and maternal mortality, family planning and RHCS, adolescent health, comprehensive sexuality education, integrated SRH/GBV services and humanitarian preparedness and response.
Our ideal candidate has:
- University Degree in medicine, midwifery, sociology, health systems/economics, or other fields directly related to the substantive area identified in the title of the post. A PHD degree would be an asset.
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which seven years are at international level
- Proven experiences in maternal health and family planning essential
- Health systems experience, health reform, an asset
- Basic understanding of health economics/health financing highly desirable
- Knowledge and understanding on quality of care, specifically client rights issues, an asset
- Up-to-date on state-of-the art knowledge, essential
- Understanding of Human Rights dimensions of SRHR and gender, and asset;
- Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work: and programme experience;
- Strong track record of technical leadership and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Successful experience in resource mobilization in the middle income context is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to network within the academic and development community
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools is desirable
- Field experience is essential; experience in humanitarian contexts is a very strong asset
- Experience in the region is an asset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Dutch and Spanish are an asset
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.