UNFPA Nigeria implements an integrated reproductive health programme aiming at increasing access to gender sensitive and culturally appropriate quality maternal health services, including emergency obstetrics and neonatal care in public and private facilities in supported States for women, adolescents, youth and affected population during emergency situations.
The programme has a 3-pronged strategy as follows: i) Prevention of unintended pregnancies through access to modern contraception and family planning counselling; ii) Ensuring pregnant women have access to antenatal care and skilled care at the time of birth; iii) and at birth and during the post-partum period, all those with complications have timely access to quality emergency obstetric care. These interventions respond to Nigeria's large population and extremely challenging reproductive health indicators make its Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care needs enormous.
How You Can Make a Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Maternal/Reproductive Health Technical Specialist will be ensuring high technical and programmatic support, in accordance with the principles of results based management and good governance to reinforce the quality of the reproductive health programme within health system. S/he is part of a team, consisting of Programme and Operational staff, including a Humanitarian Response Programme Officer.
You will report directly to the Deputy Representative.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in any of the following - public health, medicine, social sciences, or other related discipline. The degree must be directly related to the substantive area identified in the job description of the post.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of relevant and increasingly responsible experience in managing RH or health programmes, of which at least 5 years national and/or international experience in advising on reproductive, maternal and newborn health, family planning, Adolescent SRH.
- General knowledge of the principles and operational aspects of integrated RH/MH care.
- Interpersonal and communication skills for the dissemination of information and advocacy activities.
- Familiarity with UN development programmes and working procedures, especially UNFPA policies and programming procedures, an asset.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French, is desirable.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.