The Technical Specialist (P4) serves as the Manager of the UNFPA Centre of Excellence on CRVS Systems (hereafter CoE) within the Population and Development Branch of the Technical Division, HQ. The incumbent will report to the Co-Chairs of the CoE Reference Group, and is supervised by the Chief of the Population and Development Branch.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
To advance the mission of Center of Excellence for Civil Registration and Vital Statistics Systems (CoE), and assure smooth and effective operations of the CoE activities for UNFPA.
The general objectives of this position are to:
- Expand the CoE’s knowledge management; operations research, global and regional engagement, and country-based technical assistance and capacity strengthening;
- Promote the priorities of the UNFPA CRVS Strategy through the CoE, working closely with the UNFPA Technical Lead on CRVS, and the Co-Chairs of the CoE Reference Group;
Working with the Population and Development Branch Chief, the Technical Division Director, and the Division of Communication and Strategic Partnerships (DCS), increase coordination with the GFF, and with current and potential donors, to expand funding for the work of the CoE, particularly at field level.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree in social sciences or development studies, preferably in Demography, Population Studies, International Development, or a related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of relevant experience with minimum 3 years of relevant international work experience strengthening national data systems, including CRVS within developing countries.
- Experience working for/with multilateral organizations, including the United Nations, in support of national governments.
- Demonstrated expertise in project management, including the definition and tracking of milestones and workstreams;
- Experience in the management of project budgets and routine financial reporting;
- Strong communication skills;
Fluency in English, both written and oral. Working knowledge of another UN official language, especially French, Spanish or Arabic, will be an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.