The Regional Communication Adviser post is placed in the Asia and the Pacific Regional Office (APRO). The adviser is a regional member of a global communication team. As a member of the APRO team, the adviser develops the regional work plan and prioritization of tasks in close collaboration with other colleagues in the APRO team and in consultation with the Division for Communication and Strategic Partnership (DCS) as needed. The advisor ensures delivery of results in line with the regional work plan.
You will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Regional Director and in close collaboration with the other units of the Regional Office, which operates along broad thematic areas designed to stimulate and strengthen UNFPA programmes and results in the Asia and Pacific region.
The primary roles of the Regional Communication Adviser are:
• To sustain and increase public awareness of ICPD core issues and UNFPA’s work in the region by promoting and protecting the UNFPA brand and reputation through media and other channels at national, regional and global levels.
• To provide policy guidance and strategic advice to country offices in the region on effective and innovative strategies to build UNFPA’s visibility and reputation among the media, UN agencies, partners and public, and to build the communication capacity of staff.
• To help ensure that UNFPA’s branding and public messaging about its mandate and programmes is consistent across the region and reflects the Fund’s global communication priorities, adapted appropriately to the regional context.
• To provide communication support, guidance and advocacy in emergency and humanitarian contexts.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced degree from an accredited university in the field of Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, or equivalent professional experience in the communication areas, combined with an advanced university degree in a relevant discipline required.
Knowledge and Experience:
• A minimum of ten years professional experience with demonstrated ability to achieve powerful media coverage and drive brand reputation and recognition for international organizations
• Proven ability to prepare for and manage reputational crises within an international context
• Solid active network of journalist and editor contacts
• Superior writing skills
• Strong verbal, listening and presentation skills
• A keen understanding and working knowledge of issues related to the ICPD Programme of Action.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships at all levels in a multi-cultural, matrixed environment
• Proven ability to lead and inspire, exhibit integrity and empathy, be a team player with initiative.
• Experience working in an international PR agency and/ or managing a PR vendor is desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other UN languages would be an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.