The Adviser on Population and Sustainable Development post is located in the Asia-Pacific Regional Office (APRO) of UNFPA. The Adviser will report directly to the Deputy Regional Director. S/he will be the principal adviser at the regional level for evidence-based advocacy and policy dialogue/advice in the area of population ageing and its implications for sustainable development. S/he will work in an integrated manner with the technical, operations, programme and communications staff in APRO, and within the overall work of UNFPA in the area of ageing, such as policy research and messaging; capacity strengthening in development planning based on population and health projections.
The Adviser on Population Ageing and Sustainable Development will help define the strategic direction and priorities of UNFPA in the area of ageing and low fertility, collaborating closely with other ROs and COs. Ensuring that ROs and Country Offices play a lead role in advancing the ICPD and 2030 agendas, particularly focusing on the implications of population ageing for environmental, economic and social policies.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Advanced degree in Economics and/or Demography, or other fields directly relevant to the interrelations between population ageing and sustainable development.
Knowledge and Experience
• 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience – including practical experience in policy formulation and application – on population issues and their policy implications, with emphasis on the linkages between population, economic and social policies and environmental sustainability;
• Demonstrated expertise in population ageing and programme experience;
• Strong track record of intellectual and technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills with the ability to articulate a holistic and interdisciplinary vision of population ageing, and solutions to issues;
• Strong verbal and written communications skills, especially for transfer of knowledge;
• Demonstrated ability to network with the academic and development community;
• Familiarity with management and monitoring tools is desirable;
• Field experience and experience of working in the Asia-Pacific region is strongly desirable;
• Fluency in oral and written English is required.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.