This post is rotational.
Duty Station : Ougadougou, Burkina Faso
Contract Type : Fixed-Term Appointment
Duration : One year renewable(*)
Closing Date: : 26 January 2022
5:00 pm (USA/New York time)
(*) No expectancy of renewal according to UN Staff Regulations 4.5
Under the direct supervision of the UNFPA Representative, the International Operations Manager (IOM) provides leadership and advice to the Country Office (CO) on all aspects of office management and operations. The IOM supervises CO staff as assigned by the Representative.
The IOM ensures a smooth functioning, well-managed and results-oriented country office (CO) and facilitates programme implementation and delivery by providing for the operational needs of programmes and projects managed at the CO. S/he will ensure the CO is strengthened and supported in its operations, needs and queries by ensuring administrative management policies, regulations, rules and procedures are compatible with CO needs.
S/he plays a leading role in achieving key results which have an impact on the overall economy, efficiency and effectiveness of Country Office operations, and the functioning of UNFPA in line with the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
• Financial Services
• Human Resources
• Procurement and Logistical Services
• Implementation of the UN agenda on common services and joint procurement
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
A. Strategic direction of UNFPA operations
• Contribute to the delivery of the country programme, and ensure overall operations are carried out effectively, in a transparent manner and in compliance with established policies, procedures and rules
• Ensure annual and longer-term management targets, at the UNFPA corporate and Country Office level are met
• Determine optimal approaches for improving effectiveness and efficiency of business management, fostering innovation and furthering operational excellence
• Drive knowledge management practices within the Country Office
• Build capacity of staff through coaching and mentoring on operations management relevant for programme implementation and sound project management.
B. Day-to-day management of UNFPA’s operations
• Financial Management: ensure the integrity of financial systems, review of budget requirements and the consistent application of rules and regulations
• Human Resources Management: Support the Representative in the recruitment and management of staff, providing them with direction and motivation; fostering empowerment; learning and career management and promoting cross-unit team work
• Supervise operations staff demonstrating performance appraisal and transparent leadership approaches that support a culture of growth and development, where good performance is incentivized and underperformers are held to account
• General Administration: Oversee CO travel, logistics and premises; establishment of work plans, and monitoring of the achievement of results in collaboration with programme staff
• Ensure high quality provision of procurement and other project support services; monitor quality and timeliness of services provided by Service Providers
• Routinely monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and alert HQ to any unusual transactions
C. Support and coordination of UNFPA’s common services
• Provide policy support, guidance and advocacy at the country level on development, establishment and management of common services with other participating UN organizations/ agencies
• Ensure that common services and joint arrangements benefit UNFPA in its objective to provide efficient and economical support services to the implementation of the country programme.
D. Safety and security of UNFPA staff and premises
• Support staff safety by driving compliance with UN Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and Minimum Operational Residential Security Standards (MORSS)
• Together with the Representative, represent UNFPA in the Security Management Team and effectively implement security measures agreed in the SMT in compliance with security policy in UNFPA
• Represent UNFPA in Operations Management Team (OMT) meetings, ensuring that UNFPA interests are respected and value for money for goods and services are in line with best business practices.
E. Partnership building on operational issues
• Represent UNFPA in inter-agency administrative meetings, and ensure smooth cooperation between agencies on joint undertakings such as hardship questionnaires and salary surveys
• Identify new approaches and measures to further enhance UNFPA delivery capacities, professional management and cost effectiveness
• Promote a client-oriented approach among all operations staff
F. Carry out any other duties as may be required by the Country Representative, Regional Office management or Headquarters.
Qualifications and Experience
• Advanced university degree in any of the following disciplines: Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in administration, finance or office management.
• Thorough knowledge of the UN Staff Rules and Regulations, HR management policies, financial rules and regulations and procurement.
• Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focus on impact and result, and respond positively to feedback
• Strong analytical and leadership skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to lead business process re-engineering, to implement new systems, and to positively affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal changes
• Initiative; strong conceptual abilities; sound judgment; strong interest in development work, especially the mission of UNFPA; and dedication to the principles of the United Nations.
• Field experience is essential; experience from a developing, humanitarian context is an asset.
• Fluency in French and English.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing cultural diversity
• Embracing change
• Achieving results
• Being accountable
• Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
• Thinking analytically and strategically
• Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
• Communicating for impact
• Providing strategic focus
• Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders
• Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
• Making decisions and exercising judgment
UN Leadership Characteristics:
• Norm-based - grounded in UN norms and standards
• Principled - defends norms and standards without discrimination, fear or favour.
• Inclusive of all personnel and stakeholders
• Self-applied - modelled in our own behaviour
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. You are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, are required to renounce such status upon their appointment. Exceptions to this rule are very limited and can be made only for: (a) stateless persons; (b) newly appointed staff members who have applied for citizenship by naturalization, when such citizenship will be granted imminently; (c) active staff members in the General Service and related categories with permanent residency status, on promotion to the Professional category; (d) staff members appointed under a temporary appointment. Please understand that UNFPA is not in a position to provide advice on or assistance in applying for any citizenship.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.