The RH Programme Specialist will provide professional support to the UNFPA Sexual and Reproductive Health Program in partnership with its partners, both Government (Ministry of Health and National Institute of Health) and the NGOs such as Alola Foundation in the assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all aspects of the Timor-Leste Sexual and Reproductive Health Programme and to ensure the technical quality of the program, achievement of program objectives and further expansion of the Reproductive Health Program in collaboration with local and international partners.
The Program specialist on Reproductive Health maintains collaborative relationships with all programme and project staff at the CO. Internal contacts include the Representative, Assistant Representative, the Programme Analyst, and the CO’s programme/ technical team. External contacts include other UN agencies in country and counterparts in Country programme activities.
You will report directly to the UNFPA Country Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Specialist on Reproductive Health assists in the design, planning and management of UNFPA’s country programme by analyzing relevant political, social and economic trends and providing inputs to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. The Programme Specialist assists with programme/ project implementation by using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures, as well as by monitoring results achieved during implementation.
The Programme specialist on Reproductive Health advances the ICPD policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment responding to changing substantive priorities of Governments. The Programme facilitates and coordinates program activities and experts and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral agencies and civil society. S/he contributes to UN systems coordination through participation in policy dialogue and provision of inputs into joint common system initiatives.
Qualifications and Experience
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced Degree in Medicine, Public Health, Reproductive Health , Social Sciences or other related field.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience working in progressively responsible positions related to sexual and reproductive health in developing countries. Previous advisory experience preferred.
• Working knowledge in improving the formulation and implementation of public policies concerning youth and women's sexuality and reproductive health.
• Experience in implementing and managing reproductive health programs at the national and district level in developing counties.
• Ability to conduct training needs assessments, preparation of training modules and organizations of training programs.
• Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team, in coordination with other related departments and organizations to achieve RMNCAH objectives.
• Strong communication, analytical and report writing skills
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Willingness to work in a hardship environment for a minimum of one year.
• Excellent proved capacity to work with National counterparts respecting cultural values and national context.
• Prior experience in the UN system will be an asset.
Fluency in English is required; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably Portuguess and/or Spanish, is desirable.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.