The purpose of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Technical Advisor is to develop and manage plans, systems and mechanisms to support the M&E-related oversight and accountability functions of the CO and facilitate results-based programme management, integrating UNFPA´s priority Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) indicators, UNFPA Strategic Plan indicators, and other relevant indicators; lead the planning and conduct of select decentralized outcome and project evaluations within the framework of the CO Annual Work Plan; and provide technical support to Implementing Partners in strengthening national monitoring and evaluation capacity in partnership with UNFPA East and South African Regional Office (ESARO), UN agencies and other development agencies in Mozambique.
The M&E Technical Specialist will provide support from the M&E and planning perspective to the implementation of the upcoming Country Programme Document (CPD) (2022-2026) to be submitted to the Executive Board (EB) in February 2022. S/he will lead the country office efforts to effectively monitor progress and performance of existing and evolving UNFPA supported programmes in the country with the aim of improving sexual reproductive health and rights outcomes for women and young people in Mozambique.
His/her tasks also include supporting analytical efforts to inform on-going humanitarian crises such as the COVID-19 pandemic, and the displacement situation in Cabo Delgado and northern provinces of Mozambique, among others. Additionally, the M&E Technical Specialist will lead innovative initiatives regarding data collection and use such as developing implementing a Real-Time Monitoring (RTM) tool for Family Planning at community level; interactive voice message surveys; and use of the USSD technology for collecting information, among others.
The M&E Technical Specialist will provide leadership of the provincial/regional teams of UNFPA at sub-national level to ensure adequate planning, monitoring and evaluation capacities are in place. Additionally, the M&E Technical Specialist will work closely with the Assistant Representative (AR) and the Deputy Representative (DR) to ensure programme quality, including compliance and close monitoring against progress.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, or Programme/Project management, monitoring and evaluation.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years of relevant work at the national, regional or international level in providing programme/project management advisory services and hands-on experience in designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development projects.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with results-based management methodologies and tools (project and programme management, design, monitoring and evaluation) and research and policy-level analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities.
- Experience working with diverse implementing partners (governments, local NGOs etc.) is required.
- Demonstrated ability in developing capacities of partners and staff.
- Ability to work within a multicultural setting.
- Experience working with the UN system is an asset.
- Initiative, strong conceptual and analytical abilities, sound judgment; liaison, negotiation, administrative, management and organizational skills (including time management).
- Experience supporting the development of innovations to improve the impact of UNFPA field work is desirable
- Proficient in using office software packages and web-based management systems.
- Experience in using computers and office software packages including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google/Gmail, and handling of web- based management systems.
- Developing country field experience is essential, experience in humanitarian contexts is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communications and editing skills in English is required.
- Knowledge of Portuguese or other Romance languages desirable.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.