The post of Internal Auditor role is located in the Internal Audit Branch, which is a part the Office of Audit and Investigation Services (OAIS). The position is located in the UNFPA Headquarters in New York, with travel to another duty station as required.
The Office of Audit and Investigation Services (OAIS) is an operationally independent office at UNFPA and reports to the Executive Director of UNFPA. The Office is responsible for supporting the achievement of the objectives of UNFPA by contributing to the improvement of its operations, risk management and results through internal audit and investigation services.
To fulfill this mandate, the Internal Audit Branch in OAIS provides independent and objective assurance and advisory services with the objective of increasing accountability; enhancing risk management, governance and control processes; and improving the effectiveness and efficiency of UNFPA’s operational and programmatic performance. UNFPA performs its internal audit work in accordance with the International Professional Practices Framework for Internal Audit issued by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Internal Auditors may be asked to perform governance duties in the OAIS Directorate, on an ad-hoc basis.
The internal audit team is comprised of two Chiefs, 10 internal auditors in a pool; one of whom rotates to the OAIS Directorate to fulfill the Quality Assessment and Improvement Programme (QAIP) function included in the Governance Officer role, which reports to the Director, OAIS. The internal audit team is supported by an audit assistant, and is augmented with qualified audit consultants for engagements. The OAIS data analyst is shared with the Investigations Branch in OAIS.
Qualifications and Experience
Education and qualifications:
- Advanced university degree in Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Finance or other related fields. A first level degree in any of these fields, in combination with a professional auditing certification and additional relevant professional experience, may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or National Audit Certification (e.g. CPA, CA) is a requirement.
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) is desirable
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of seven years of external or internal audit and/or other directly relevant experience such as governance, risk management and control services – preferably at the international level. Experience in IT auditing desirable.
- Significant experience in modern auditing practices and services is required, e.g. in the internal audit department of the public or private sector; auditing, accounting or consulting firm.
- Previous work experience in an international audit or consulting services firm or internal audit role, in the UN or multilateral context, development aid sector, and/or supreme audit institution, is desirable.
- Proven ability to conduct internal audit engagements covering the planning, fieldwork and reporting phases in accordance with the International Professional Practices Framework for Internal Auditing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal auditing standards and practices, risk management, and internal controls (programmatic and financials).
- Experience in effectively using modern audit tools and techniques such as electronic working papers software (in particular, TeamMate) and MS Office products (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation).
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to express himself/herself well verbally and in writing.
- Fluency in English required, with proven ability to express well verbally and in writing.
- Good knowledge of other UN official languages (French, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish or Russian) would be an advantage.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.