The Regional Innovations Specialist post is placed in the West and Central Africa Regional Office (WCARO). S/He is part of an interdisciplinary team with a focus on support for initiation, stimulation and incubation of ideas; design thinking and prototype development; and monitoring, robust evaluation and scaleup of innovative approaches across the regional programme initiatives and in support of the country offices in the West and Central Africa Region.
S/He will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Regional Director and under the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Director and in close collaboration with the other units of the Regional Office, which operates along broad thematic areas designed to stimulate and strengthen UNFPA programmes and results in the West and Central Africa region.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Innovation is positioned as an accelerator to help UNFPA deliver its ambitious Strategic Plan 2022-2025. The Innovation Specialist provides high quality innovation guidance and integrated knowledge management and programmatic support within a systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy. S/He will support the innovation portfolio and mainstream innovation within the country offices of the West and Central Africa Region.
The primary roles of the Innovation Specialist are to support initiation, facilitate, capture and monitor innovation strategies and practices in the region for review and scaleup; and to provide capacity development to UNFPA staff and implementing partners and knowledge management support for innovative approaches to policy and programme development, implementation and operations.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced University degree in public health, sociology, demography, gender, economics, international relations, international development, public administration, marketing, Engineering or other science and technology related field;
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience with demonstrated ability for creative thinking and innovative approaches, preferably with experience in design thinking, prototype development and implementation of innovation;
- Proven ability for creative thinking, innovative approaches and innovation management;
- Solid active network of innovators;
- Ability to catalyze and scope for innovative initiatives that enhance programme quality;
- Ability to explain complex ideas and findings in a way that can be easily understood and to work creatively within a budget and use innovation to find ways of more effectively managing resources;
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in knowledge management and strategic information management;
- Strong written, verbal, listening and presentation skills;
- A keen understanding and working knowledge of issues related to the ICPD Programme of Action;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships at all levels in a multicultural, matrixed environment;
- Proven ability to lead and inspire, exhibit integrity and empathy, be a team player with initiative;
Fluency in English is required and French is desirable to enable effective communication with English speaking and French speaking country coordination groups and local organizations (West and Central Africa region).
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.