Purpose of Consultancy:
The National Statistical Office in collaboration with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and with funding support from the Australian Government, has concluded the conduct of the Socio-Demographic and Economic Survey (SDES). The SDES is a nationally representative sample survey designed to generate indicators on population and demographic characteristics, labour and employment, migration, education, fertility, household and housing characteristics. These indicators will be used to monitor the progress of the country in terms of the targets set in the Sustainable Development Goals, PNG Vision 2050, Medium-Term Development Plan III, and other monitoring tools of the government.
Several reports will be generated to include in-depth analyses of the survey results.
The following reports will be developed and edited to include the following topics:
- Final SDES Report
- Thematic Report on Economic Well-Being of the Population
- Thematic Report on Fertility and Mortality
- Demographic Dividend
To standardize the above reports in terms of wordings/grammar, structure/format, and contents, the services of two editors are required.
The Individual Consultant International Editors will be responsible for the following:
With the guidance of the UNFPA Chief Technical Adviser (CTA), the editors will:
- Carry out the necessary editing of the reports ensuring all reports are standardized in terms of formatting, language/wordings, and contents, without losing the original and technical explanations or analysis in the reports;
- Collaborate with each other in order to ensure standardization of the four reports; and,
Collaborate with NSO on the review and finalization of the reports.
Duration and working schedule:
The contract will cover the period 1 July to 8 September 2023. Payments are calculated on the basis of a daily rate.
Place where services are to be delivered:
- The Individual Consultant will be working from Home.
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies, including language requirements:
- At least a Masters' degree in Communication, English Language, Publishing and Editing, Literature, Journalism, or equivalent qualifications in a relevant, directly related discipline.
- Must be meticulous - have a keen eye for details, looking for excellence/ perfection/quality in all technical matters.
- Edited at least ten (10) censuses/surveys publications on population;
- Has a working knowledge in Microsoft Word;
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Core Competencies:
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Submission of applications:
Interested applicants should submit their applications of interest to:
The UNFPA Representative, UNFPA, Level 14, Kina Haus, Douglas Street, PO Box 1041, Port Moresby on Email: email@example.com no later than 7 June 2023.
This should include:
Letter of Interest, CV, and UN Personal History Form