Under the supervision of the UNFPA Representative the Humanitarian Coordinator will ensure effective and efficient coordination, programmatic and operational support to UNFPA’s humanitarian programming and response in Afghanistan as relevant. The focus of the response is on RH and GBV, requiring close coordination with the respective CO teams.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire, and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will work in a highly complex operating environment and be responsible for working with the different programme teams/thematic areas, to oversee UNFPA’s humanitarian response and preparedness activities in geographically remote areas, camps, border areas and host communities. S/he will work in close collaboration with humanitarian agencies (UN and international NGOs) and national partners and civil society organizations to strengthen emergency preparedness and provide humanitarian assistance to crisis affected communities in a manner consistent with the methodology outlined in the Inter-Agency Standing Committee Gender Handbook in Humanitarian Action. The Humanitarian Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring integration of UNFPA mandate within interagency humanitarian plans.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in Humanitarian Assistance, Public Health, Social Sciences, Demography, Gender and/or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
• 7 years of relevant professional experience in coordinating, developing and implementing humanitarian interventions in crisis settings.
• Knowledge of the humanitarian reform process and roles/responsibilities of humanitarian actors.
• Technical expertise in RH, including MISP implementation and RH Emergency Kits.
• Strong analytical, coordination and organizational skills and ability to work efficiently under high pressure.
• Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results.
• Skills in building strategic alliances and partnerships, strong communication and networking and excellent organizational skills.
• Good level of emotional intelligence, empathy and conflict management as well as negotiating skills.
• Ability to self-manage, emotional intelligence, empathy, team spirit, conflict management as well as negotiating skills.
• Excellent spoken and written communications skills.
Fluency in English is required; Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.