In a highly globalized development environment, UNFPA is becoming a key player in youth and women empowerment and human rights, particularly in sexual and reproductive health rights as well as effective emergency and humanitarian response. Latin America and the Caribbean is a region with a high proportion of middle income countries, strong socio-economic disparities and areas prone to natural disasters.
The Regional Director will lead a highly creative and qualified team in support of initiatives to lead a transformation process which includes the development of new modes of engagement to advance ICPD priorities and are aligned to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Post 2015 development agenda, or other international commitments as contained in their national development plans in the region.
UNFPA is searching for a candidate with strong leadership and innovation capacity to develop a new approach to business models that allow to develop innovative partnerships, to conduct substantive political and policy dialogue with governments, civil society, private sector and development partners to further promote UNFPA mandate. In addition to that, the successful candidate will lead important emerging initiatives for transformational change in the areas of UN delivering as one as well as south-south cooperation, resource mobilization and new partnerships for knowledge management in the region.
Key activities include:
- Strategic leadership, vision and direction
- Programme and human resources management and representation
- Resource mobilization and communication
- Transformational change and innovation
- Resource Mobilization and Communication
Education: Advanced degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Gender, Political Science, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which 10 years in the field of population and development at the international level;
- Strong track record of leadership in development programmes;
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of programme specialists to achieve demonstrable results;
- Significant strategic programme management and operational experience;
- Track record in transformational change;
- Track record in building effective alliances and networks;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish. Working knowledge in French and Portuguese will be considered an asset;
- Field experience essential.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.