Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Executive Director (Management), the Director of Information Technology Solutions Office (ITSO) provides strategic leadership and overall direction to all information technology and communication initiatives, activities and operations in support of UNFPA globally.
He/she is the direct supervisor of all Information and Communications Technology (ICT) personnel within the Office and has an indirect supervisory role to the ICT personnel in all non-HQ locations.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Director will provide technology and business process leadership, ensuring that UNFPA’s organizational units benefit from innovative new technologies to enable effective and efficient programme delivery and operational support. S/he will ensure that the enabled environment stretches globally within UNFPA and serves all its staff, offices and activities with the adoption of specific ICT standards and applications based on industry best practice and harmonized with other UN organizations. S/he will ensure that investments in the ICT portfolio are rational, sound, value-adding, and risk-managed.
UNFPA is currently undergoing an enterprise resource planning (ERP) project that will streamline important processes and greatly improve efficiency, effectiveness and integration internally and with our UN Partners. The ITSO Director is IT Project Manager for the ERP project, which will be a main focus of the job until the new ERP is expected to go live in 2022.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree or university degree with equivalent professional experience in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Technology / Information Management, or closely related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 15 years of experience at high level ICT management out of which at least 8 years in a role with international responsibilities;
- Fully versed in managing people, budgets and stakeholders in large organizations;
- Proven experience in managing decentralized ICT operations;
- Demonstrated experience managing outsourcing partners for projects and operations;
- Expertise implementing or operating ERP systems;
- Strong knowledge of technology trends (including service-oriented architectures) and how they can be leveraged to create more efficient business operations and new programme delivery opportunities;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required;
- Strong negotiating skills a must for this post;
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results;
- Ability to lead and contribute to organizational transformation and change initiatives.
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is desirable.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.