Job title: Finance Assistant, Individual Consultancy
Level: Local Consultancy
Location: Humanitarian Response Division, Geneva
Full/Part time: Full-Time
Duration: 11 months
Finance Assistant post is in the Operations Team of the Administration and Management
Support Unit, of the Humanitarian Response Division (HRD), based in Geneva.
Finance Assistant is part of the operations team and s/he delivers quality financial services
in adherence to relevant policies and standards established by UNFPA and apply finance-
related guidelines, processes and procedures to the Humanitarian Response Division
You will report to Operations Specialist and work in close cooperation with
Administrative/Finance Associates and other operations team members.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every
childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan
(2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses
on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for
family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results
capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and
SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member
States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the
negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and
reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff,
who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them
courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained
results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources
entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In support of UNFPA’s strategic directions, the Finance Assistant contributes to building Division capacity and ensuring effective and efficient application of core and non-core resources through providing quality support to recording and reporting of accurate and reliable financial data and information in a timely manner with required quality checks, in line with UNFPA guidelines and procedures.
You would be responsible for:
● Supporting the monitoring of programme financial performance, by providing necessary
financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against
indicators/results; detecting potential over/under expenditure problems and proposing
● Support with monitoring of the Division budgets; compilation of financial data; and
regularly providing accurate, up to date financial information.
● Assisting in the management of the Division budget, by budget formulation, controlling
allotments, monitoring expenditures, and preparing draft revisions as required.
● Ensure effective financial reporting system, including contributing to preparation and
submission of monthly, quarterly accountability checklists and year-end certifications
and reporting in an accurate and timely manner
● Assist Operations Specialist in implementation of audit recommendations and
improvement of overall office compliance and accountability, including assessment and
implementation of operation risks and fraud mitigation in line with enterprise risk
● Maintain close collaboration with Admin/Finance Associate and Programme Associate
with project monitoring and financial reports issues.
Implementing Partners services:
● Ensure that financial transactions for the Humanitarian Response Division programmes
implemented by the implementing partners, are processed in an accurate and timely
way and in accordance with relevant policies and procedures.
● Ensure that financial resources are spent in compliance with donor requirements and
timeframe of the programmes, and maintain up-to-date database of such requirements
for each donor of the Division. Draft accurate donor financial report in collaboration
with programme team, as required by donors, assist in reparation and undergoing of
donor verification missions.
● Support Operations Specialist with setting and implementing IP (Implementing Partner)
assurance plan (HACT spot checks, micro assessments, audit).
● Assist in review and assessment of reported amounts on FACE forms (Funding
authorization and certificate of expenditures), cash advances, follow up on aged OFA
(Operating Fund Accounts), conduct necessary reconciliations.
● Assist in reviewing the Implementing Partners internal controls with respect to financial
management, procurement and/or other controls required to implement the activities
defined in the work plan.
● Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
Completed Secondary Level Education required. First level university degree in Finance,
Business, Public Administration or similar discipline desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
● Five years of relevant experience in administration, finance or office management.
● Proven experience and track record in successfully managing and implementing
financial policies, processes and systems in development organizations or private
● Proficiency in current office software applications, web-based management and ERP
● Ability to produce analytical reports and write clearly and concisely.
● Working experience with UN organization is desirable.
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or
Spanish, is desirable.
• Exemplifying integrity,
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA
and the UN system,
• Embracing cultural diversity,
• Embracing change
• Managing the organization’s financial
• Implementing management systems
• Fraud and operational risks
• Business acumen and ability to multi-
task and balance competing priorities.
Innovation and marketing of new
• Pro-activeness and client orientation
• Achieving results,
• Being accountable,
• Developing and applying professional
• Thinking analytically and strategically,
• Working in teams/managing ourselves
and our relationships,
• Communicating for impact
Please send your application and a short letter of motivation with "Finance Assistant" in the
subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. A proposed daily and/or
monthly rate should be included in the application.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Late applications will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advanced to the next stage of the selection
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.