Duty Station: Home-based or New York, USA (as to be mutually agreed between UNFPA and the consultant)
Purpose of consultancy:
The consultancy is located within the Population and Development Branch, Technical Division. The data analysis consultant will support the data work of Project “Measures of Girls and Women’s Health & Wellbeing (WHW) and Exemplar Case Studies”
The WHW project is undertaking a comprehensive assessment of the metrics to measure women’s “well-being”; translate new conceptual thinking into a proposed list of national measures and indicators; assess national performance rankings across a wide number of countries; identify “exemplar” countries that show a high level of performance on women’s health and well-being indicators; and partner with these countries to assess policy conditions and programming that have promise to accelerate women’s health and well-being in other countries.
Data for the WHW project will mostly come from UNFPA’s Population Data Portal (PDP), and draw on relevant SDG indicators. Underpinning all of UNFPA’s work is the need for precise evidence on who is left behind, where health and development deprivations are greatest, which interventions are working, and which should be taken to scale.
The data analysis consultant will join the WHW project team at UNFPA, and contribute to the analysis of WHW indicators within subcategories, processing thresholds for defining Exemplar countries, and perform comparative analysis across countries.
The duration of this consultancy is 7 months (1 June - 31 December, 2022), full-time, with the potential for extension.
During the term of this consultancy, incumbent will be expected to perform the following activities:
● National data retrieval, data quality assurance, and creation of the global database on selected WHW indicators;
● Analysis of indicators within subcategories, and processing thresholds for defining Exemplar countries;
● Comparative analysis across countries;
● Produce the WHW analytic products through PDP;
● Support the development and expansion of thematic dashboards;
● Analyze disaggregated, high-quality population data and SDG data to accelerate the achievement of UNFPA’s three transformative results (3 Zeros) – end preventable maternal deaths, end the unmet need for family planning, and end gender-based violence and all harmful practices, including child marriage and female genital mutilation;
● Map key regional development frameworks and support regional indicator data analysis;
● Support the analysis of other datasets such as global health facility SPA and SARA datasets;
● Provide other operational support as needed;
● Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Within the broad scope of work as outlined above, the consultant is expected to deliver relevant activities on timely basis, reliably and accurately throughout the consultancy period. Specific deadlines, reports/deliverables will be on need basis and communicated accordingly.
The consultant will report to Technical Specialist, under the overall supervision of the Chief, Population and Development Branch.
Expected Travel: None
Required Expertise and Qualifications
● Master's degree, Doctorate degree preferred (Post-graduate University Degree in public health, demography, statistics, population studies, or other relevant field)
Knowledge and Experience:
Required Experience: 2 years of professional experience
The following skills are required for this position:
● Expertise in census and household survey data analysis
● Experience in quantitative social science methods, ideally in the areas of sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender equality, and gender-based violence and harmful practices including child marriage and female genital mutilation
● Expertise in statistical analysis
● Demonstrated experience and expertise in coding using one of the major statistics software (R, SPSS, Stata, or SAS, etc.)
● Demonstrated experience and expertise in data management using relational database systems, including knowledge of SQL
● Excellent writing skills, and synthesizing research/policy reports
● Proven organizational skills in complex, multinational work environments
● Competency with productivity software: Microsoft Office, including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint; Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets
The following skills are highly desirable for this position:
● Experience with ArcGIS applications
● Experience in collecting or working with geospatial data
● Strong communication skills and expertise in project coordination
● Fluency in English.
How to Apply
Please send your application and a short letter of motivation with "Data Analysis Consultant" in the subject to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 May 2022.