Duration: 364 days (Temporary Appoinment)
The Communications Specialist position works under the direct supervision and overall guidance of the Regional Communications Adviser (RCA) at the UNFPA Asia-Pacific Regional Office (APRO) in Bangkok. The Communications Specialist is responsible for a range of activities under the UNFPA regional communications strategy, supporting both the Regional Office and Country Offices as specified below.
Funds to support this position have been identified within the Regional Programme.
With UNFPA’s new and ambitious global Strategic Plan and Regional Programme (2018-2021), grounded in the ICPD Programme of Action and supporting the achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the SDGs, the need for strategic communications, advocacy and outreach is stronger than ever.
Communicating for results on UNFPA’s crucial mandate is key, through compelling storytelling incorporating human stories supported by data and evidence, vital social media platforms with diverse and influential audiences, and a robust communications framework that supports resource mobilization and partnerships efforts.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Advanced University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Information, Public Relations, Marketing/Branding and Social Sciences or a related field(s);
Knowledge and Experience:
• Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience at the international level in communications, including digital communications and/or online journalism specifically on reporting and editing, basic graphic design and web content management including;
Strong computer programming skills and experience with software packages essential, along with basic videography and video editing, to develop compelling content (print/visual/online);
Experience with web content management systems (Drupal is a plus);
Strong knowledge of graphic design software and a strong sense of design;
Excellent command of written English and proven ability to write and edit engaging news and feature articles, as well as compelling social media content;
Sound editorial judgment, analytical ability and sensitivity to the issues UNFPA and the wider UN system addresses.
• Familiarity with basic desktop publishing software (e.g. PageMaker and InDesign)
• Familiarity with UNFPA programmes and policies in Asia and the Pacific, with a commitment to the values and goals of the United Nations and the UN Charter, UNFPA’s mandate, and other key protocols; and a knowledge and understanding of development issues.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Risk and crisis communications experience in emergency and conflict environments is desirable
• Ability to meet deadlines and work with a minimum of supervision
• An international background with immersion and exposure to diverse cultures and settings is desirable.
Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English is essential.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.