In 1989, the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme recommended that 11 July be observed by the international community as World Population Day, a day to focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues. The theme of this year's World Population Day is Vulnerable Populations in Emergencies.
The world is seeing a record number of people displaced by crises – some 60 million according to the latest UN figures. UNFPA works in emergency settings around the globe to respond to the rights and needs of women and girls, helping them maintain their dignity, securing their safety, and restoring their access to sexual and reproductive health care.
This year, UNFPA will spend World Population Day raising awarness of the needs of vulnerable women and girls in emergencies.
- Follow the conversation on Twitter with the hashtag #WPD2015.
- In Bangkok, Thailand, at 10am on 10 July, at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand, UNFPA will hold a panel discussion and Q&A session on meeting the needs of vulnerable people in humanitarian crises. Members of the public are welcome to attend.
- In Almaty, Kazakhstan, from 5 to 10pm on 11 July, 'Orange Fest 2015' will be held in Central Park. This festival, convened with Hard Rock Cafe Almaty, Red Crescent Society and Department of Emergency of Almaty, will include flash mobs, information sessions on responsible behaviors in emergencies, trainings on emergency assistance, and theatrical performances by youth organizations. The festival will also feature a concert, with special guest iFly, winner of the Hard Rock Rising competition in Kazakhstan.
- In Cuba, from 11am to 12:30pm on 11 July, an exhibition of selected photographs from the Youth Lens contest will be held at UNFPA/the UNFPA Youth Creative Workshop/the Centre for Youth Studies CESJ. Hosted by CESJ.
- Also in Cuba, at 6pm on 11 July, a concert will take place featuring singer Ernesto Blanco at the Rampa art fair. Messages about safe sex and the rights of youth will be distributed. This event will also be held at UNFPA/the UNFPA Youth Creative Workshop/CESJ.