The Community Mobilization Specialist works under the overall supervision of the Representative and in close collaboration with the Programme and Humanitarian teams. S/he will lead the offices efforts in engaging young people across the components of UNFPA’s humanitarian response and will also provide inputs to UNFPA’s overall engagement and mobilization of affected communities.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will work in a highly complex operating environment and be responsible for working with the different programme teams/thematic areas to increase youth engagement and mobilization within UNFPA’s programmes and at the community level. You will serve as a youth community organizer and mobilizer and will be responsible for facilitating activities in the communities including planning, monitoring, and evaluation of programme/project interventions. The incumbent will facilitate and strategize to effectively and efficiently implement planned activities and initiate onsite interaction, where possible, with targeted communities and project partners. This will include identifying and building partnerships and contributing to the overall networking and coordination work with different stakeholders. You will also contribute to strategies for wider engagement and mobilization of affected communities.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in social/behavioral sciences, international relations, public administration or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 5 years of progressively responsible professional work experience in youth and community engagement, mobilization, and advocacy.
• Understanding of Afghan Context, in particular the current political and security context in which UNFPA is required to operate.
• Familiarity with SRH and GBV programming.
• Skills in building strategic alliances and partnerships; strong communication and networking skills; excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to self-manage, good level of emotional intelligence, empathy, and conflict management.
• High level of ability to negotiate and experience in team working in culturally diverse contexts.
• Strong analytical ability and experience in representing an organization.
• Good knowledge of humanitarian response, prior experience in challenging and complex humanitarian response is desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.