Under the guidance of the Regional Director, you will lead the Country team in the development and management of an innovative Country Programme of Cooperation focused on population and development and universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights, including maternal health, family planning, gender, and adolescent and youth empowerment.
You are accountable for the effective implementation of the Country Programme, playing the lead role in promoting the mandate of the organization, and ensuring the integration of issues of sexual and reproductive health and rights in the broader national development agenda. Through engagement with national counterparts, UN Country Teams, compelling advocacy, and delivery of effective programmes, including in emergency settings, you serve on the frontline of the organization, validating both the mandate of the organization and its ability to deliver high quality support and results. Your ultimate accountability is to the people that you serve; the most vulnerable, excluded, or marginalized and for the causes that you serve; human rights, sustainable development and humanitarian relief.
UNFPA Representative as Country Director:
You may also act as non-resident Country Director in some of UNFPA's country offices. In this function you are supported by the staff in the respective country offices.
The UNFPA Representative plays the leading role in projecting the priorities and mandate of the organization at the national and/or area level. Through compelling advocacy and thought leadership, the Representative effectively positions UNFPA to be the visible centre of innovation and excellence on issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender, human rights and culture. Placing the ICPD issues at the centre of the overall development agenda, the Representative plays a significant part in ensuring a coordinated and comprehensive engagement across the UN system, with bilateral donors and civil society, with national counterparts and other partners. The Representative provides leadership for the work of UNFPA in the country of assignment and is accountable for the UNFPA Country programme and operations in the country.
Key activities include:
- Strategic direction, planning and management
- Programme leadership and representation
- Programme oversight and coordination
- Management of resources
Qualifications and Experience:
Post-graduate university degree in: International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management, Public Health, Gender or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which at least 8 years in the field of population and development at the international level;
- Job knowledge and technical expertise –up-to-date knowledge of issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender, and their place in the development agenda;
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results;
- Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing in English;
- Strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations;
- Field experience is essential.
- Fluency in English and French is required. Arabic is desirable.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.