The Representative leads a country office team in the design and implementation of a
population and development and sexual and reproductive health country programme.
Through alliances and partnerships with governments, UN and bilateral agencies,
development partners, civil society, academia and the private sector, the programme aims to
realize the 2030 Agenda in order to make a positive difference in the lives of millions of
people; especially those furthest behind.
Under the guidance of a Regional Director, you will lead a Country team in the development
and management of an innovative Country Programme of Cooperation focused on population
and development and universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights, including
maternal health, family planning, gender, and adolescent and youth empowerment.
You are accountable for the effective implementation of the Country Programme, playing the
lead role in promoting the mandate of the organization, and ensuring the integration of issues
of sexual and reproductive health and rights in the broader national development agenda.
Through engagement with national counterparts, UN Country Teams, compelling advocacy,
and delivery of effective programmes, including in emergency settings, you serve on the
frontline of the organization, validating both the mandate of the organization and its ability
to deliver high quality support and results. Your ultimate accountability is to the people that
you serve; the most vulnerable, excluded, or marginalized and for the causes that you serve;
human rights, sustainable development and humanitarian relief.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in any of the following disciplines: Public Health, Medicine,
Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development,
Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
• 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which at least 10 years in the field of population and development, sexual and reproductive health or humanitarian at the international level;
• Current knowledge of issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and their place in the development and humanitarian agenda;
• Proven ability to lead teams to achieve demonstrable and high quality results
• Experience at national and international level in advocacy and policy dialogue
• Experience in media/communication with partners, and public information
• Experience in international development, particularly in the mandate of UNFPA and dedication to the principles of the United Nations;
• Field experience is essential; experience from a developing, humanitarian or crisis
context is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.