The UNFPA regional office for East and Southern Africa has prioritized prevention for HIV as part of its SRH agenda. Its strategic approach to HIV is threefold: preventing sexual transmission of HIV; promoting human rights and reducing inequalities; and integrating HIV responses into sexual and reproductive health. Strengthening condom programming is central to both addressing HIV prevention and sexual and reproductive health.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in program results.
The SRH/HIV Specialist plays a key role in ensuring the sustainability of HIV prevention and SRH services in East and Southern Africa with a specific focus on strengthening comprehensive condom programming to address the triple challenges of HIV infections, unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections.
S/he will collaborate with regional and national entities, including government officials, civil society organizations, private sector and development agencies to provide technical support in strengthening condom programming in ESA, with priority focus on four countries (Malawi, Mozambique, Uganda and Zambia). S/he will provide leadership, direction, programme management and oversight for the Global Fund Condom Strategic Initiative for condoms in the four countries in collaboration with UNAIDS RST. As the Technical Specialist for the SRH/HIV, s/he will work within an integrated, coordinated, and systems strengthening approach that is fundamental for UNFPA overall strategy. S/he will report to the SRH/HIV Advisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master degree in public health, medicine, social sciences, pharmacy, business administration or other related fields. Courses certificates in logistics, essential drugs, demand generation, health system strengthening and financing would be an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years’ experience in increasing responsibilities in managing HIV Prevention /Family Planning Programmes or related fields.
- Demonstrated depth of expertise and experience in designing, planning and implementing comprehensive condom programmes.
- Demonstrated ability to establish professional relationships and to work collaboratively with diverse partners.
- General knowledge of the principles and operational aspects of integrated health service delivery
- Experience with public-private partnership will be an added advantage
- Familiarity with UN development programmes and working procedures, especially UNFPA policies and programming procedures, would be an asset.
- Proven experience in managing complex programs and large scale projects would be an asset.
- Computer Literacy: Proficiency in the use of standard MS Office packages and the Internet.
- Fluency in English is required.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.