The Technical Specialist, SRHR is the UNFPA Country Office lead and Technical Specialist on SRHR. S/he is responsible for translating and overseeing the delivery of the Country Office programme targets related to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), Reproductive Health Commodities Security (RHCS), Health System Strengthening, RMNCH and HIV issues.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Representative, the Technical Specialist, SRHR is part of the Country Office’s senior staff and plays a leadership role in coordinating and managing sexual and reproductive health thematic interventions of the UNFPA supported programmes to improve reproductive health/maternal health. S/he is responsible for providing strategic policy and programme advice as well as overseeing project formulation, partnerships development, resource mobilization, implementation and evaluation. The candidate is also responsible for advocating for policy changes relating to UNFPA’s mandate in the country.
S/he will be based in Harare, oversee the work of a programme specialist and Programme Analyst and linkages with other teams in UNFPA Zimbabwe. The Technical Specialist, SRHR actively participates in inter-agency coordination mechanisms to ensure UNFPA’s needs in inter-agency programming and support to Zimbabwe in the area of SRHR are met.
The Technical Specialist, SRHR analyzes trends in all aspects of sexual and reproductive health and rights as well as the social and policy related environment in-country and identifies opportunities for UNFPA assistance and strategic interventions. The Technical Specialist provides direct technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and enhances capacity to mobilize and obtain social and political support for national policies and programmes in the area of RH, maternal health in general, FP, ASRH, RHCs, and midwifery among others.
S/he is responsible for reports, updates and information on progress, and achievements of these components of the UNFPA supported programme and associated projects, in line with the principles of results based programme management. S/He ensures coherence with agreed national and international planning frameworks, including the UNFPA Strategic Plan, Country UN Strategic Development Coordination Framework, National Development Plan, and related sectoral strategies. The Technical Specialist may oversee the work of Programme Specialists, Programme Analysts and/or Programme Associates as well as consultants, advisors, and experts. S/he establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues. S/he must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s/ Advanced degree in Public Health, Health Economy, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Public Policy, and/or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of Public Health, and related fields of SRHR .
- Specialized knowledge and experience within Health Systems Strengthening and integrated MNH/SRHR/GBV/HIV/YD approaches will be desired;
- Experience in programme/ project management including experience in large multi-sector programmes;
- Experience in implementing legislation;
- Experience leading multi-national and complex multifaceted teams is an asset;
- Prior experience in the UN system is an asset
- Excellent communication skills and experience with management of staff.
- Substantive work experience in the field of SRHR in humanitarian and post conflict recovery setting is preferred.
- A thorough understanding of the UN system in general, and especially UNFPA mandate, its policies and operations.
- Demonstrated personal resilience and ability to work under the time pressure
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage. Working knowledge of another UN Official Language, an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.