In line with the recommendations of the UNFPA Strategic Plan 2022-2025 and considering the need to continue playing an active role in providing quality evidence-based advocacy to influence investment decisions of the national and international development partners as well as government in the area of data, population dynamics and policy development, UNFPA Angola Country Office (CO) requires the services of an International Technical Specialist in Population and Development (P&D).
In partnership with the Ministry of Economy and Planning (MEP), UNFPA provides technical support to build stakeholders’ capacity to increase the use of data in decision-making at national and subnational levels, promoting incorporation of key sustainable development issues linked to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights (SRHR), population dynamics and a life-cycle, gender transformative, rights-based approach in medium and long-term planning, financing and monitoring instruments, and data-backed and evidence-based policy advice for accelerating achievement of the ICPD Programme of Action and Agenda 2030. With a demographic context characterized by slow fertility decline, high unmet need for family planning, and a youthful and rapidly growing population, it is paramount for the demographic dividend agenda to be clearly and effectively integrated in the revised National Development Strategy, as well as other medium term Government planning instruments and sectoral strategies.
The Technical Specialist in Population and Development (P&D) will be based in Luanda in Angola and reports to the Representative. S/he will provide strategic support in achieving the P&D-related outputs of the Country Programme. The Technical Specialist will provide technical expertise/guidance, quality assurance, policy application, effective and sound resources and programme monitoring and evaluation, and ensuring results-based management across both operations and substantive activities.
More specifically s/he advises the Representative on the national development policies in the relevant sector and ensures UNFPA’s priorities are well taken care of during sector policy discussions with the Government and the development partners. The incumbent ensures strategic advocacy and policy advice at the highest levels for the assigned areas.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s Strategic Plan 2022-2025 reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to SRHR, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Technical Specialist. Population and Development (P&D) will provide innovative technical knowledge and deliver substantive technical advice on current and emerging approaches in population data and policies to CO, government, intergovernmental bodies, and the UN. S/he works to ensure strong programme management of the P&D portfolio; strengthen technical capacities of national experts; improve the quality, relevance and usefulness of population data; and promote a more effective and extensive use of population data for development. In all activities s/he fosters collaboration within the UNFPA Technical Division and Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office, ensuring the national implementation of international best practices in population data and policies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent degree, or higher) in demography, geography, statistics or economics with an emphasis on demography, or related field, as well as a first-level university degree in any of the same fields. Programming experience is necessary to perform this task, as is a solid background in statistics or mathematics.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of population and development, with good knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Strong results-based programme management experience, with particular focus on strategic planning and capacity building.
- Previous experience working with the UN and understanding of Human Rights dimensions of P&D, an asset.
- Experience in national and/or sectoral policy dialogue, especially in the context of UN Reform and Joint Programming, and the new aid environment, would be a distinct advantage.
- Proficiency in current office software applications and corporate IT systems.
- Demonstrated ability to produce quality policy analysis, papers and briefs.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to make compelling oral presentations.
- Understanding of development planning and policy processes.
- Experience in large scale national surveys and censuses.
- Highly motivated, proactive and ability to work both independently and in teams.
- Fluency in English is mandatory. Good knowledge of Portuguese is an asset. Please clearly indicate your skill level of the languages in your application.
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.