The position of Family Planning Programming – Cluster Lead sits in the Commodity Security Branch (CSB), Technical Division (TD) and is responsible for providing technical leadership in family planning programming, policy, and financing across the organization. The position reports to the Chief, CSB and has a direct working relationship with UNFPA Supplies Programme Leader.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-25), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire, and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
As a United Nations agency, UNFPA has a unique role and mandate to support countries to meet their family planning needs and, as part of the wider UN mandate, to help ensure that all women and men, girls and boys can achieve their potential and realize their rights. UNFPA is currently refreshing its family planning strategy and rolling out an action plan to accelerate progress towards the three transformative results in UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-25), one of which is to end unmet need for family planning. Through the family planning strategy and action plan, UNFPA will play a leadership role to accelerate global efforts on family planning, focusing on a range of interrelated technical priorities including standard setting, normative guidance and technical advice, the supply of quality-assured commodities, purposeful partnerships, data, and accountability. UNFPA Supplies Partnership – a multilateral, multi-donor, UNFPA-managed thematic fund - is a key vehicle for UNFPA to advance its family planning mandate.
The Family Planning Programming-Cluster Lead will lead the UNFPA family planning policy, financing and programming portfolio. S/he will be responsible for the overall implementation of the family planning strategy and operationalize the family planning acceleration/ action plan to ensure delivery of sustainable, country-driven approaches to rights-based family planning in the context of comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights. S/he will also lead the UNFPA Supplies Partnership’s technical agenda on family planning with inputs from across the organization. This is an important role within UNFPA and requires a candidate who can demonstrate both extensive technical credibility in family planning and leadership skills, team building and strategic thinking.
Post-graduate University Degree or equivalent in public health, medicine, sociology, demography, international development, or related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience and technical expertise in family planning policy and programming, sexual and reproductive health, and rights
- Strong track record of technical leadership in family planning programming in country and proven ability to produce demonstrable results
- Experience leading technical discussions within family planning/sexual reproductive health thematic groups
- Experience in external relations and nurturing key partnerships
- Experience in managing and coaching a team of senior professionals
- An acknowledged expert and recognized authority in the technical area
- Extensive network within the development community
- Strong analytical, report-writing and communication skills are required
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is an added advantage.
- Field experience is required
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is highly desirable for this role as interface with bilateral and multilateral partners.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.