The Technical Adviser, Population Data Policy post is located in the East and Southern Africa Regional Office in Johannesburg, and is under the overall leadership of the Regional Director and reports directly to the Deputy Regional Director coordinated through the evidence, knowledge and innovation unit team coordinator. S/he is the principal adviser at the regional level for population data analysis and utilization for programming and impact assessment. S/he leads integrated technical support to countries and partner in population data and data for development. The Population Data Policy Adviser works in an integrated manner with the technical and programme staff in the RO, under the coordination of the Deputy Regional Director.
Education: Post-graduate University Degree or equivalent (preferably Ph. D.) in demography, statistics, population studies, economics, or other field directly related to the substantive area identified in the title of the post.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which seven years at the international level;
- Population Research, Census DHS and civil registration experience is essential
- Experience of linkages between population and poverty, an asset
- Experience in population related policy development, an asset
- Understanding of Direct Budget Support, an asset
- Experience of PRSPs and MTEF analysis, an asset
- Understanding of Human Rights dimensions of Population and Development, an asset
- Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work; and programme experience;
- Strong track record of technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English and/or in the relevant language in the region
- Demonstrated ability to network within the academic and development community;
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools is desirable;
- Familiarity with ICT/ERP is an asset;
- Field experience is strongly desirable.
Languages: Fluency in English and French is required. Portuguese is an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.