The Technical Adviser post is located in the East and Southern Regional Office of UNFPA, Johannesburg. S/he is under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and reports directly to the Deputy Regional Director. S/he is a member of the Integrated Sexual Reproductive Health team and leads the Adolescents, Youth and Gender components of the Regional Programme, and provides and coordinates technical advice and support to Country Offices in the ESA region on Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health (AYSRH) and Gender issues, including GBV, FGM and gender mainstreaming.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Education: Post-graduate University Degree or equivalent (preferably Ph. D.) in public health, medicine, sociology, social anthropology, health education, health economics, epidemiology, behavioral studies, or other field directly related to the substantive area identified in the title of the post.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which seven years at the international level;
- Broad experience in AYSRH and gender programming, including evidence of innovative approaches, essential;
- Understanding of human rights and cultural dimensions of AYSRH and Gender, essential;
- Strong track record of technical leadership, contribution to technical knowledge management products and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Demonstrated expertise in advocacy, negotiations and/or policy dialogue, essential;
- Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work; the incumbent is expected to be an expert in the field and recognized authority in the area of assignment; experience within the ESA region preferred;
- Experience in developing evidence-based BCC and social norm change programmes, an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of working on legal issues and with civil society involvement, an asset;
- Experience/knowledge of Adolescent, Youth and Gender programming in humanitarian settings, an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire high level technical knowledge in new areas is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of working in areas related to harmful traditional practices, an asset;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English and/or in the relevant language in the region;
- Demonstrated ability to mobilise resources and network within the academic and development community;
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools, M&E and value for money is desirable;
- Familiarity with ICT/ERP is an asset;
- Field experience is strongly desirable.
Languages: Fluency in English. Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese, an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.