The Security Specialist coordinates day-to-day security activities and maintains a line of communication with the Office of Security Coordinator (OSC) at the Regional and HQ levels on all technical and security policy issues. S/he proactively assists the Representative in the implementation of the security related functions and provides leadership and advice to the Country Office (CO) personnel on all aspects related to planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Country Office security activities. The Security Specialist maintains close co-operation with the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and other Agencies, Funds and Programmes Security Officer(s).
S/he will report to UNFPA Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire, and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Security Specialist will advise on security risk to UNFPA personnel, eligible dependents, premises, property and operations in country, and at the same time enabling UNFPA programme delivery throughout the country. This will be achieved through:
- Ensuring that security support features in the programming process at the Country Office level as well as in the case of each individual project, from project identification, planning, budgeting, implementation and right through to monitoring and evaluation.
- Strengthening the security arrangements and business continuity management of UNFPA offices, sub-offices (field and project offices), and their personnel while maintaining a professional network of international and national security personnel.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree or equivalent in Political Science, Military Studies, Security Management, Law Enforcement, Business Continuity Management or related disciplines.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least seven (7) years of relevant progressively responsible experience in the field of security risk management; at least three years within the United Nations System at the senior officer level, and preferably in a high-risk duty station.
- Experience in a Security Management System within the United Nations or similar International Organizations including international NGO is desirable.
- Practical and professional experience in the military, police or humanitarian work.
- Knowledge and experience in data collection, analysis and dissemination is desirable.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to travel to the field whenever necessary.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.