Contract Type: Fixed-term
Duration: One year (renewable)*
Duty Station: New York
* No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations
4.5 SPECIAL NOTE: Applicants applying for UNFPA General Service posts located in New York must have a valid G-4 visa or U.S. Permanent Residency or U.S. Citizenship at the time of their application. Additionally, applicants must have passed the UN Clerical Test (GGST/ASAT) in order to be eligible to be appointed to this position.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Chief, Gender and Human Rights Branch, the
Gender, and Human Rights Associate provides organizational, administrative and financial
management assistance as well as research support to the Branch/Technical Division.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every
childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan
(2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths;
end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff,
who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them
courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained
results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources
entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You would be responsible for:
Reporting to the Chief, Gender and Human Rights Branch/Technical Division, the incumbent
is responsible for the organizational and administrative support; monitoring of financial
resources; support for procurement activities; support for research activities; support to
knowledge management and dissemination activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of High School education is required; Under Graduate degree or equivalent in an area related to the mandate of UNFPA would be an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Successful completion of UN GSST (Clerical test)
- 6 years finance-related work experience.
- Proficiency in use of spreadsheets, word processing and computerized accounting systems.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to organize effectively, work under pressure with attention to detail, precision and accuracy.
- Experience of accounting framework and systems.
- Dedication to UN principles and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national background.
- Previous experience in the UN an advantage
- English is required. Knowledge of a second UN language, is desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (GGST). Passing specialized tests (e.g. Finance and Accounting technical assessments) may still be required for some General Service (GS) positions, as specified in the vacancy announcement.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.