NOTE: This post is being re-opened to widen the pool of applicants. All applicants who have previously applied need not re-apply.
Applicants applying for UNFPA General Service posts located in New York must have a valid G-4 visa or U.S. Permanent Residency or U.S. Citizenship at the time of their application. Additionally, applicants must have passed the UN Clerical Test (GGST/ASAT) in order to be eligible to be appointed to this position.
This position is located in the Facilities and Administrative Services Branch (FASB) within the Division for Management Services (DMS). FASB provides and oversees a broad range of support services relating to facilities and asset management, travel, mail & pouch and administrative/general services for both Headquarters and Field Offices. The term Field Offices includes all offices located outside of Headquarters including Regional/Sub-Regional Offices, Liaison Offices and Country Offices. The incumbent reports to the Business Operations Specialist.
The incumbent maintains professional contacts with staff at UNFPA-Headquarters and field offices, UN development Coordination Office (DCO), UNDP and other sister agencies. Provides support, analyses, clarification, and information and maintains regular contact with staff, within and outside the Organization as may be required.
Reporting to the Business Operations Specialist, the Business Operations Associate provides guidance on Business Operations Strategy (BOS)/Common Back Office (CBO) implementation and Vehicle fleet management on a global scale.
The primary roles are specifically:
Oversee the UNFPA global vehicle fleet;
Assist in other Business Operations activities.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
1. Oversee the UNFPA fleet globally
- Ensures global use of vehicle tracking software;
- Tracks vehicle usage of field offices through global tracking software;
- Reviews and decides on vehicle requests from field offices for both program and representational vehicles;
- Decides independently and endorses purchase or leasing of UNFPA vehicles;
- Prioritizes the replacement of vehicles in case of budget shortages;
- In preparation for Headquarters authorisation of funds for vehicle replacement, obtains and verifies the Field Office CAPC/local PSB minutes related to the disposal of vehicles;
- Maintains a yearly list of vehicles, which might have been stolen and/or involved in accidents and ensure that related documentation is sent on time by the Field Office to Headquarters and duly submitted to the PSB/CRC, where required;
- Examines accident reports received from Field Offices and provides advice and follow-up action as necessary;
- Maintains an up-to-date list of vehicles owned and/or leased by Field Office;
- Administers UN worldwide third-party liability insurance plan for all Field Offices;
- Ensures both the right sizing of vehicles and the right sizing of field office fleets;
- Ensures vehicle disposal in field offices is done through UNHCR Disposal Auctions;
- Increases the use of electric and hybrid vehicles in the UNFPA fleet in order to reduce emissions from vehicle use;
- Assists the roll out of Vehicle Leasing across all UNFPA field offices;
- Advances fleet sharing possibilities with sister agencies;
- Follows latest development in fleet management and suggest innovation possibilities in this area.
2. Assist in UNFPA efficiency calculations related to operational improvements
- Assists in calculating efficiency gains from interagency, bilateral and internal initiatives in accordance with developed standards as necessary;
- Collects relevant information to calculate efficiency gains from all stakeholders (Headquarter, regional and country level).
3. Review and advise field offices on common services
- Collects year-end balances for common services data from field offices as required;
- Ensures COREM data on common services is up to date and correctly entered by field offices.
4. Other duties
- Undertakes other duties as may be required by the Business Operations Specialist;
- Backs up the Travel Unit and the Administrative Associate as required
Qualifications and Experience:
Secondary Education with supplemental training in finance and/or administrative procedures. University degree in Finance and/ or Administration is a plus.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 6 years of experience, preferably with experience in fleet management, administration and procurement.
- Expert knowledge in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Google, etc.) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Knowledge of procurement support, UN reform and data analytics are an asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English required. Knowledge of another official UN language an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.