This is a re-advertisement - Previous applicants need not to reapply.
The Technical Advisor (VAW Data) post is located in the UNFPA Asia and the Pacific Regional Office (APRO), Bangkok, under the overall direction of the Regional Director and direct supervision of Deputy Regional Director, APRO.
S/he is the principle technical expert at the regional level for measurement of Violence against Women (VAW), focusing on technical advice to country offices and research teams leading VAW prevalence surveys, capacity building on measurement of VAW and managing the UNFPA-DFAT project to strengthen regional and national capacities to measure VAW in the Asia Pacific region – kNOwVAWdata Phase II.
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Regional Director, the incumbent works as a team member of APRO in close consultation with the GBV Technical Specialist, and liaises as necessary with all team members in APRO, relevant staff in New York and country offices, with DFAT and other key partner agencies, as well as the Technical Advisory Committee for the UNFPA-DFAT project.
The Technical Adviser works in an integrated manner with the technical and programme staff in APRO, and as part of the team which provides technical and programme support to country and sub-regional offices.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The VAW Research and Data Technical Advisor leads UNFPA APRO’s technical area of measurement of VAW. In particular, s/he will lead the DFAT- UNFPA project -kNOwVAWdata Phase II - which aims to provide strategic advice and technical quality assurance to regional capacity building initiative on VAW prevalence measurement, ensure timely and quality technical advice to Country Offices on VAW data collection, analysis and utilization for programming and policy advocacy, and support evidence generation and knowledge development and dissemination on VAW data.
The Technical Advisor will also identify and promote opportunities for South-South cooperation as a modality for capacity building, and will promote and support knowledge exchange, communications and advocacy for VAW data at national, regional and global levels.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Public Health, Sociology, Statistics, Epidemiology, Demography, Gender, or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in leading and implementing quantitative social/health/economic surveys (questionnaire design, training, piloting, sampling strategies, data processing and analysis).
• Demonstrated experience with the WHO Multi-Country Study on Women’s Health and Domestic Violence research methodology, or with the domestic violence module and materials of the Demographic Health Survey, as well as knowledge of other available methodologies such as UNECE;
• Knowledge of global standard monitoring and indicators for VAW including SDGs.
• Extensive knowledge and experience in using statistical software for data analysis;
• Proven ability to build national survey team capacities, including guiding national research teams in the preparation of study reports;
• Extensive experience in advising academic and government institutions on similar surveys on violence against women and girls;
• Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with UN system partners, national government partners, National Statistical Offices, NGOs, and the academic and development community;
• Prior work experience in the Asia-Pacific region on similar surveys is an advantage;
• Demonstrated expertise in policy dialogue and high-level advocacy is desirable;
• Demonstrated expertise in qualitative research on violence against women desirable;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
• Familiarity with UN systems and procedures, management and monitoring tools is desirable.
English is the required language for this position. Other UN languages are considered an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.