PLEASE NOTE: candidates who have previously applied for this position do not need to apply again.
The UNFPA Regional Office for East and Southern Africa established a Multi-Country Middle-Income Countries (MIC) Technical Hub, based in Johannesburg, to strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of its presence and programme support in the region. The MIC Hub provides unique technical expertise and programme advisory services to Country Offices based in a select group of middle income countries in Southern Africa, i.e. Botswana, Eswatini, Mauritius, Namibia, Seychelles and South Africa.
The position of Socio-Economic Policy Advisor/ Head of MIC Hub in the East and Southern Africa region will lead the Middle Income Country (MIC) Technical Hub comprised of a multi-disciplinary Expert Team and will report to the Deputy Regional Director. S/He, as part of the team, will also provide tailored technical, policy, programme support and guidance to the selected middle-income countries in an integrated, responsive and coordinated manner.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
Master’s degree/ Advanced university degree in public health, medicine, demography, economics, international development, public administration, management or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in management and leading development programmes and inclusive policy actions relevant to addressing the socio-economics dimensions of SRHR, including health economics, health financing, social policy and financing, social protection, and related areas.
- Understanding of UNFPA's mandate in particular sexual and reproductive health, rights-based family planning, gender based violence, population dynamics; population data, etc.
- Established engagement within global and regional professional networks related to the portfolio;
- Strong track record of producing demonstrable results at regional and country offices;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with regional and national counterparts, academia and development partners;
- Field experience is strongly desirable including in Middle Income Country Contexts
Must be fluent in English. Knowledge if another UN language is an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.