The Programme Specialist, Adolescents and Youth post is located in the Arab States Regional Office and reports to the Regional Youth and HIV/AIDS Adviser, who provides overall direction and guidance in terms of the regional programme, partnership development and technical assistance modalities. S/He coordinates and supports the implementation of the Regional Youth and HIV/AIDS Programme ensuring that support and guidance are provided to country offices in an integrated and timely manner.
You will report directly to the Regional Youth and HIV/AIDS Adviser.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new Strategic Plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Specialist, Youth and HIV/AIDS leads the implementation of the regional Youth and HIV/AIDS programme that promotes youth participation and engagement; adolescent and youth health and wellbeing including SRHR and HIV/AIDS; Comprehensive Sexuality Education; Life Skills and Education; Youth, Peace and Security in the context of the ICPD beyond 2014, the UNFPA Strategy on Adolescents and Youth and UNFPA Strategic Plan 2022 - 2025; regional development processes; and UN reform.
Key results expected of the Programme Specialist, Adolescents and Youth include day-to-day leadership of regional office programme management including the process of developing the annual Work Plan. The Programme Specialist, Adolescents and Youth are Policy and Programme Development also supports implementation and monitoring, knowledge management and information sharing of good practices and innovative approaches.
Education: Post-graduate university degree or equivalent in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Youth Work, Demography, Gender, Economics, International Relations, International Development, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in developmental work;
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in youth programming, population, sexual and reproductive health, and gender programming;
- Field experience, particularly in the region and around adolescent and youth programmes including adolescent girl’s initiatives, is a strong asset;
- Demonstrated commitment to adolescent and youth participation;
- Strong communications and writing skills in English are required. Working knowledge of Arabic and French is a strong asset.
- Strategically positioning UNFPA programmes;
- Providing conceptual innovation to support programme effectiveness;
- Generating, managing and promoting the use of knowledge and information;
- Providing a technical support system;
- Strengthening the programming capacity of Country Offices;
- Facilitating quality programmatic results;
- Internal and External relations and advocacy for results mobilization.
Full Proficiency in written and spoken English; and a working knowledge of Arabic or French is a strong asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.