The MHPSS Specialist will be based in Port Moresby and under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Representative in Papua New Guinea and the direct supervision of the Technical Specialist GBV. They will work closely with the Technical Specialist (FP/MH/RHCS) and other program staff. S/he will also work collaboratively with the National Department of Health, National Department for Community Development and Religion, the National Department of Education, Provincial Health Authorities, NGO partners, bilateral and multilateral donor agencies to enhance stand alone and integrated MHPSS programming. S/he will provide technical and programmatic oversight and leadership on MHPSS including research, analysis and training activities.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Government of Papua New Guinea has high political commitment to the health and wellbeing of the population is well articulated in the National Development Plan and Vision 2050. The Government of Papua New Guinea has also prioritized preventing and responding to Gender Based Violence in its National Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gender Based Violence (2016-2025) as well as Sorcery Accusation Related Violence in the National Sorcery Accusation Related Violence Action Plan, which both include a strong focus on mental health and psychosocial services. The Technical Specialist will support these goals by providing technical guidance, advice and oversight in regards to MHPSS programming including its integration into GBV, SRHR, peacebuilding, youth and humanitarian interventions.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced University Degree with specialization in areas such as clinical psychology, clinical social work or mental health. It is desirable to possess a Master’s in Public Health.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 5 years of specialized experience in community based psychosocial support interventions particularly as it relates to social norm change, and experience in this field at international level in a humanitarian context;
- Demonstrated knowledge of IASC Guidelines on MHPSS in Emergency Settings;
- Demonstrated experience on counseling skills and clinical supervision of lay counselors;
- Demonstrated experience developing technical curriculum and materials for delivery of MHPSS programming/activities in low resource settings;
- Demonstrated knowledge of protection and peacebuilding issues in humanitarian settings, and of humanitarian emergency operations and roles/responsibilities of humanitarian actors;
- Proficiency in English and in other official languages or the UN required/desirable;
- Strong training and supervision experience required.
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is desirable.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.