This position is located in the Media and Communications Branch, Division of Communication and Strategic Partnerships (DCS). The Media Adviser plays a lead role in the team, reporting to and working closely with the Chief of the Media and Communications Branch, managing the media team, handling crisis communications and working collaboratively with senior leaders throughout the organization.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
We are looking for a media-savvy, strategic thinker who can play a lead role in building UNFPA’s brand and reputation through earned media outreach, thought leadership and reputation/ crisis management.
This individual will lead the earned media team, working closely with editorial, digital, social media and internal communications colleagues. In addition they will be a key leader of the crisis preparedness and management efforts, interacting regularly with UNFPA’s senior management.
You would be a good fit for this role if you have substantive experience in public relations and strategic communications for large international organizations. You are strategic and a creative problem-solver, with specialized skills in media and crisis management. A talented project and people leader who cares, collaborates, co-creates and inspires.
Qualifications and Experience
An advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, the Humanities, Marketing, Social Sciences or a related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
• A minimum of 10 years professional experience, including as a team leader, with demonstrated ability to achieve powerful media coverage and drive brand reputation and recognition for international organizations
• Proven ability to prepare for and manage reputational crises within an international context
• Solid active network of journalist and editor contacts
• Superior writing skills
• Strong verbal, listening and presentation skills
• A keen understanding and working knowledge of the SRHR landscape, gender and human rights issues, humanitarian settings, activism, and/or purpose-led programming
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships at all levels in a multi-cultural, matrixed environment
• Proven ability to lead and inspire, exhibit integrity and empathy, be a team player with initiative
• Experience working in an international PR agency and/ or managing a PR vendor is desirable
Highest level of fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN official language is an asset.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.