The Technical Specialist ISRHR is responsible for the overall development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Sexual and Reproductive Health program. S/He will also provide technical, operational, and programmatic assistance to the country and partners for a resilient health system, contributing to all building blocks of the health system strengthening and particularly financing, human resources for health, contraceptives and reproductive health commodity security and supply chain management system.
You will report directly to the Deputy Representative under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Specialist will occupy a pivotal position in the Country Office as a central service provider to the three established technical units Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Youth and Adolescents and Gender & Human Rights. The position will also require coordination with other UN entities in the country and outreach to academia and government agencies (different entities in the Ministry of Public Health), NGOs and other partners to reinforce the Maternal Health Program and enhance Family Planning including Reproductive Health Commodities’ Security (RHCS) in Cote d’Ivoire as well as UNFPA offices elsewhere in the world. You will manage and coach a team of 4-5 professionals and coordinate closely with the Communications team.
- Documented and Strengthened UNFPA Cote d’Ivoire capacities in the implementation of integrated sexual and reproductive health services (including family planning, maternal health and HIV Prevention) that are gender-responsive and meet human rights standards for quality of care and equity in access.
- Enhanced visibility of UNFPA Cote d’Ivoire as a trusted partner in SRH/Family Planning within the UN system and in the context of international development and humanitarian context to promote social, political and economic action and changes in behaviours, social attitudes, beliefs, harmful social norms and actions by communities, individuals and society.
- Enhanced ability of UNFPA Cote d’Ivoire to fulfil its mission to achieve sustainable, locally owned and concrete results solutions to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in any of the following areas: public health, demography, medical and social sciences.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of international experience and increasing responsibilities in managing or supporting health and/or social development programmes, preferably reproductive health.
- Demonstrate experience in sourcing state-of the art knowledge, overseeing operational research, and packaging knowledge products for technical audiences.
- Demonstrate experience in sourcing and mobilizing top-notch technical assistance, including through south south cooperation;
- Demonstrate experience in leading/managing innovation.
- Familiarity with UN development programmes and working procedures, especially UNFPA policies and programming procedures, although not required, is an asset.
Fluency in English and French is required.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.