The Technical Adviser is the principal adviser at the regional level for integrated technical and programme advice on health economics and financing in West and Central Africa Regional Office. The Technical Adviser works in an integrated manner with the technical and programme staff in the Regional Office and Country Offices, and reports directly to the Deputy Regional Director.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In the West and Central Africa Region, the Economics Adviser will provide strategic technical and programmatic leadership to ensure that the RO and COs are well-equipped to accelerate UNFPA’s programmatic shift moving from “Funding to Financing” the ICPD agenda and use economics evidence to advocate for effective investments to support UNFPA’s three transformative results, the Sustainable Development Goals and the ICPD Programme of Action.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in health economics, public health or related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which seven years at the international level;
- Proven experience in a lead health economist role, including health sector reform, public financial management, health systems strengthening;
- Understanding of areas relevant to UNFPA's mandate such as family planning, sexual and reproductive health, gender based violence, population dynamics;
- Demonstrated expertise in policy engagement within developing countries and Middle Income Countries;
- Established global and regional professional networks related to health economics;
- Strong track record of producing demonstrable results;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with national counterparts, academia and development partners;
- Field experience is required, ideally within the West and Central Africa region;
Fluency in English is required and French is desirable to enable effective communication with English speaking and French speaking country coordination groups and local organizations (West and Central Africa region).
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.