The consultant will support the Division in delivering its mandate, mainly in strategic positioning of ICPD issues in intergovernmental processes and support the follow-up and review of the ICPD Beyond 2014 Agenda. The consultant will support the coordination of and coverage of engagements related to intergovernmental meetings and events, provide analysis and support the development of strategies and policies to guide UNFPA’s positions in inter-governmental processes related to the ICPD, ICPD Beyond 2014 and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
How You Can Make a Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young’s person potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan 2018-2021, focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal death; to end unmet need for family planning; end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction. UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results. We need staff who are transparent and exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Intergovernmental engagement of UNFPA is coordinated from Policy and Strategy Division (PSD) in New York within the Intergovernmental, Interagency Policy Development Branch (IIPDB). The consultant will be integrated into the IIPDB team to support intergovernmental engagement.The Intergovernmental engagement of UNFPA is coordinated from Policy and Strategy Division (PSD) in New York within the Intergovernmental, Interagency Policy Development Branch (IIPDB). The consultant will be integrated into the IIPDB team to support intergovernmental engagement.
You Would Be Responsible for:
- Supporting the Team Leader in coordination and quality assurance of engagements related to intergovernmental meetings and events;
- Following intergovernmental processes related to the ICPD in the Economic and Social Council and the General Assembly of the United Nations, with a particular focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, population policies and dynamics, gender equality and the empowerment of women, and youth;
- Supporting the Chief of IIPDB on organizational and substantive elements for the Commission on Population and Development;
- Preparing analytical reports, briefing notes and background papers on the issues above;
- Contributing to the development of policies, strategies and proposals for decision making in intergovernmental processes related to issues that take place in the Economic and Social Council and General Assembly;
- Interacting with UN Missions, the General Assembly, ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies, monitor political risks and opportunities for enhancing the ICPD Beyond 2014 in intergovernmental processes and provide analysis on trends in the principal organs of the UN and their implications for UNFPA operations. Provide input to briefs and draft policy papers and other background materials to facilitate decision-making by the Fund;
- Contributing to the data-base of delegates and officials for effective information flow, and create/contribute to relevant planning tables related to intergovernmental processes;
- Contributing to the calendar of events of key ongoing and upcoming inter-governmental and inter-Agency processes and ensure that various relevant units of UNFPA are periodically informed and updated;
- Contributing to a database of resolutions and to decision-tracking relevant to UNFPA;
- Contributing to the follow-up to the Nairobi Summit, as appropriate;
- Supporting engagement in political advocacy with member states, multilateral agencies, and CSOs;
- Supporting the promotion of the ICPD agenda and UNFPA positions and policies, in relevant intergovernmental negotiations;
- Representing UNFPA in intergovernmental processes, including in negotiations;
- Contributing to analyses of risks, opportunities and ways to advance corporate goals through intergovernmental processes;
- Assisting in the preparation of background documentation and notes for senior management for meetings and conferences;
- Contributing to periodic reporting and planning of the Office on activities related to her/his assignment;
- The Consultant will be expected to work closely with the other members of the Policy and Strategy Division, including the Interagency Team within IIPDB; and to
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief of IIPDB.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Diplomacy, Public Relations or Development Studies;
- At least 7 years of relevant and increasingly responsible professional and managerial experience in development and multilateral affairs at the international level. Strong knowledge of the United Nations, the Economic and Social Council, population policies and dynamics, human rights, global health and gender equality an asset;
- Knowledge of the ICPD agenda and related intergovernmental processes and negotiations essential;
- Strong inter-personal skills, strong public speaking skills; excellent speech writing and report writing skills;
- Knowledge of the substantial content on reproductive health, and population and development programming is essential;
- Proficiency in English is required; Knowledge of an additional UN language is an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity;
- Embracing change
- Advocacy/advancing a policy oriented agenda;
- External and internal relations and advocacy for resource mobilization;
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships;
- Providing conceptual innovation to support programme effectiveness;
- Generating, managing and promoting the use of knowledge and information.
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact.
11 months full-time
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm.
How to apply
Please send your curriculum vitae/resume and a short letter of motivation with " Intergovernmental Specialist" in the subject to Ms. Vanessa Gomes at firstname.lastname@example.org, by 18 November 2019.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.