The position of Communications Consultant is located in the Division of Communications & Strategic Partnerships (DCS). The position reports to the Chief of the Media and Communications Branch, with dotted line reporting to the Chief of the Strategic Partnerships Branch.
Scope of Work
The Communications Consultant will serve as the primary communications focal point for the Strategic Partnerships Branch (SPB) in DCS focused on raising the visibility of UNFPA’s strategic partnerships with private stakeholders, both among external and internal audiences.
SPB develops win-win partnerships that support UNFPA’s mandate to achieve universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights, reduce maternal deaths and improve the lives of adolescents and youth. SPB oversees partnerships with private sector actors, including the business sector, foundations, parliamentarians, civil society, academia and scientific institutions, as well as individuals and multi-stakeholder initiatives to make every partnership unique and ensure support to UNFPA’s programmes.
The Consultant will work closely with colleagues in both branches to develop a strategic communications plan for the visibility of key strategic partnerships, and to create compelling content across a variety of channels in order to raise awareness of partnerships and build the reputation of the organization. The Consultant will liaise on a regular basis with both teams.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Develop and implement a communications strategy, including key messaging, to showcase UNFPA’s key strategic partnerships supporting the implementation of UNFPA’s Strategic Partnerships Framework
- Identify opportunities to build the visibility of UNFPA’s strategic partnerships, whether through campaigns, events or other initiatives, in line with UNFPA’s corporate brand
- Support the launch of new partnerships and joint initiatives by creating compelling stories and content for digital and social media channels
- Use storytelling techniques to draw attention to the positive impact key partnerships are having on the lives of the people UNFPA serves around the world
- Work with the media team to plan and manage media activities and draft press releases to promote UNFPA’s strategic partnerships
- Develop internal communications tools and content to expand the corporate knowledge and efforts on private strategic partnerships
- Support production of communications materials, including videos, publications, infographics, promotional items, event banners etc.
- When necessary, create content for events such as messaging, scripting
- Represent the branch in interdivisional and Fund-wide working groups
- Any other duties assigned by the Chief of MCB
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in journalism, mass communications, marketing, public relations or related fields
- A minimum of five years relevant professional experience
- Proven expertise in developing creative and effective advocacy and communications strategies, including storytelling techniques, branding and reputation management
- Excellent writing skills and experience using emotive storytelling to drive advocacy and commitment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear manner and synthesize large volumes of data and/or information
- Strong project management and organizational skills: ability to balance a wide variety of tasks simultaneously with a varying levels of complexity and urgency and meet tight deadlines
- Experience in developing and editing communications products, such as factsheets, photo stories and videos, and social media tools;
- Knowledge of international development issues and/or gender issues is desirable
- Experience working with media is an advantage
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Fluency in English is required, other UN languages desirable.
Duration of Contact
Contract Type: Full-time consultancy (11 months)
How to Apply
Please send a motivational cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Strategic Partnerships Communications Consultant" in the subject by 9 December 2022. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note to applicants:
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA.via various means or Reporting: http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm.
UNFPA is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.