NOTE: Due to the current situation on COVID19, this consultancy is being cancelled at this time. Thank you.
Title of Assignment: Consultancy services for the development of a Master Plan for De Martino Hospital (Mogadishu, Somalia)
Type: International Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Home-based, with travel to Mogadishu, Somalia
Duration of the contract: 4 months
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2020
De Martino Hospital is a major public health facility located in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia. It is managed by the Ministry of Health and Human Services of the Federal Government of Somalia. The hospital has the following departments: (a) out-patient, comprised of general medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology; and (b) in-patient, comprised of pediatrics, adult care, and maternity. The hospital also has a radiology department and a pharmacy. The hospital has 71 beds and 2 operating theaters. It currently counts with well-equipped, fully functional X-ray, Ultrasonography, Laboratory, and a Pharmacy, all of which contribute to the provision of quality services to patients. On average, De Martino Hospital’s outpatient and day care department served 6,000 patients per semester in 2019, with an average of 3,000 outpatient cases of paediatrics per semester in 2019. The hospital has been upgraded in recent years in terms of its infrastructure, equipment and personnel. Further developments are needed to fully restore its capabilities and to ensure its potential expansion, particularly in terms of its infrastructure and functionality.
The consultant will report directly to the Chief of Health at UNFPA Somalia and work under the overall supervision of the UNFPA Deputy Representative.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to formulate a technically, economically feasible, socially and environmentally sustainable Master Plan for the development of De Martino Hospital providing sufficient details for its implementation, including layout plans of the utilities as well as an initial environmental assessment. Future development envisages the incorporation of an emergency trauma care ward, and the provision of orthopaedic, ophthalmic, and reconstructive plastic surgery services.
The Consultant will manage the development process of the Master Plan task as follows:
The preliminary tasks for the preparation of the Master Plan include the determination of the following items:
- how the existing overall plan design should be refined or enhanced in light of new survey information;
- a review of previous and existing architectural and/or engineering designs and studies and phasing of development;
- what growth planning assumptions would be needed in order to drive the planned use of the hospital compound in the future, taking into account the catchment area of the hospital estimated at approximately 44,000 people.
Scope of Services
The consultant shall be required to develop an architectural concept including the following:
1. Site survey and review of current status and future potential
2. Formulation of development vision and conceptual plan
3. Utilities layout plan (water, sewerage, power)
4. Preliminary design
5. Initial environmental assessment
6. Project implementation scheme
7. Fast Track structure planning
8. Dry landscape planning (garden and green areas)
9. Identification of potential iconic structures with historical value for preservation
Formulation of Development Vision and Conceptual Plan
- A schematic concept and visual images, outlining the facilities should be included with design work.
- Development alternatives and selection of preferred plan to be provided.
- Blueprints of proposed development works, including 3D renderings.
- The consultant shall set a realistic timeline for the development plan of the Master Plan of the Hospital compound to make the project feasible, including a target completion date. This timeline will be used as benchmark for future monitoring of any commissioned works.
Utilities layout plan (water, sewerage, power)
A land grading plan should be made first considering the existing topo data and flood elevation. Based on the grading and use plans, layout plans for each of the key utilities (water supply, sewerage, drainage, power supply) should be made showing the distribution/collection networks, with notations regarding the anticipated size of the pipe mains, drains, ditches, cables, etc.
Water Supply System
(1) Design Concept
(2) Water Demand Forecast
(3) Preliminary Design (Water Sources, Water Treatment Plant, and Distribution System)
(1) Design Concept
(2) Waste Water Generation
(3) Preliminary Design (Sewage Treatment Plant)
Power Supply System
(1) Design Conditions
(2) Power Demand Forecast
(3) Preliminary Design
(4) Exploring the possibility renewable generation facility
Initial Environmental Assessment
An initial environmental assessment shall be conducted. Strategic environmental assessment in the planning phase should be considered to avoid risks on environmental matters in later stages. Counter-measures and mitigation plan against risks and issues should be proposed, in particular:
- Environmental baseline analysis.
- Physical planning recommendations for sustainability (green building).
- What topography, waterways, drainage, and other natural features of the site need to be preserved.
- What are the considerations based on the water supply and waste treatment, electricity, projected growth, the overall development strategy, and their phasing;
- Where the major structures would be located, and how the networks of collection and distribution might be routed, according to existing layouts and topography.
The following deliverables are expected to be provided by the consultant by the end of the assignment, in English:
- Inception Report with work plan of the service shall be submitted within 1 month after commencement of the assignment.
- Fast Track Infrastructure Planning and preliminary designs, including initial environmental assessment, shall be submitted within 2 months after the commencement of the assignment. This shall include recommendations on which buildings should be renovated first and why.
- Draft Final Report including drawings and images shall be submitted within 3 months after the commencement of the assignment.
- Final Report including drawings, all outputs of services, shall be submitted within 4 months after the commencement of the assignment.
- PowerPoint presentation with the main findings, recommendations, and final design work within 4 months after the commencement of the assignment.
- Monthly Progress Reports shall be submitted on a monthly basis including, but not limited to, updates, accomplishment of the activities, problems encountered, and solutions provided.
Report size shall be A4 format and drawing size shall be both A3 and A1 format (3 copies). Soft copies are also required with Microsoft Office format and drawings in PDF format not lower than its 2010 version for the documents and drawings, respectively.
The total duration of the assignment is 4 (four) months.
Qualifications and Experience
- Solid command of spoken and written English.
- University level qualification (bachelor’s and/or master’s) in architecture, urban planning, civil engineering, or closely related engineering field.
- A minimum of fifteen years’ professional experience in architecture or civil engineering or closely related technical field.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to produce high quality reports and recommendations.
- Knowledge of health facilities will be an added advantage.
- Willingness to work in difficult circumstances and travel to Somalia.
- Previous experience in planning health facilities in conflict-affected countries and in fragile states.
- Previous experience in Somalia compulsory, and in Mogadishu an asset.
- Asset: previous experience with Italian-funded projects.
Skills and Competencies
- Computer software including Microsoft Office suite of applications and AutoCAD.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong writing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Ability to work in multicultural and multi ethnic environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish effective working relations with other stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently.
Other relevant information
The selected consultant may be required to undertake a full week of security training in Mogadishu, Somalia or Nairobi, Kenya prior to site visits at the hospital. This training will be provided by the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and will be free of cost to the consultant.
The consultant is expected to stay in Mogadishu for a minimum of 1 week and possibly 2 weeks to do site visits at the hospital compound. Thereafter, the consultancy can be carried out from his/her place of residence. The consultant should budget for travel to and from Mogadishu, Somalia in his/her financial offer submission. Security-compliant accommodation in Mogadishu with full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will be provided to the selected consultant at no cost. UNFPA will also facilitate the visits to De Martino Hospital in Mogadishu with its own vehicles at no cost to the consultant.
- First instalment: upon signing of contract and submission of inception report: 25%.
- Second instalment: upon successful completion of draft final report: 25%.
- Final instalment: upon submission of final report together with all outputs of services: 50%.
The assignment entails at least one travel to Mogadishu, Somalia. All travel expenses directly related to the consultancy – international airfare, visa (if applicable), and airport terminals, should be included on the consultant’s financial offer. Accommodation and full board will be provided free-of-charge to consultant in Mogadishu, Somalia during the field visit.
How to apply:
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
1. Curriculum vitae including the relevant and past experience in similar domain and scope of work, including at least 3 references.
2. A cover letter explaining how your experience matches the requirements of the consultancy.
3. Copy of university diplomas.
4. Previous work samples (at least two) related to the consultancy’s scope of work.
5. Financial offer details, clearly outlining the daily consultancy professional fee and articulated around deliverables. All payments will be based upon outputs, i.e. upon satisfactory delivery of the services specified in the Terms of Reference and sign off from the supervisor.
Candidates should submit all documents via e-mail to Ms. Zamzam Hassan (firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 31 March 2020. ), with copy to
To obtain the floor plans (blueprints) of hospital, please e-mail:
Applications not fulfilling the minimum requirements for qualification and experience will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be notified for an interview.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.