Position: Administrative Assistant, G-5
Location: Washington D.C., USA
Duration: One year renewable *
*No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations 4.5 Organizational
NB: canndidates for this position must have a valid G-4 visa, be a valid USA Permanent Resident or a USA Citizen at the time of their application. In addition, the candidate must pass the UNGSST/ASAT to be appointed to this position.
The Administrative Assistant position is located in the North American Representational Office in Washington, D.C., within the Division of Communications and Strategic Partnerships (DCS), and reports to the Chief of the N.A. Rep Office. S/he provides administrative and financial support to the office as well as performing a wide range of duties including research, written work and other organizational responsibilities.
To provide research, administrative, financial and organizational support to the N.A. Rep Office as Administrative Assistant to the Chief, as well as contributing to stakeholder management and supporting the wider work of UNFPA through outreach to partners, taking minutes of meetings and building relationships. Main Tasks &
This position is located within the 2-person North American Representational Office in Washington. Due to the nature of the small office, duties will be wide-ranging and the job holder will be expected to be flexible and demonstrate the ability to adapt to a range of different tasks including office and finance administration, organizational duties, attending meetings, written work and general support to the office Chief, including:
- Managing and monitoring the office’s budgets and expenditure, working closely with HQ, including managing Atlas and other relevant financial systems, budgeting, as per UNFPA’s financial rules and regulations;
- Contributing to political analyses including monitoring Congressional and debates, and mapping political interests to facilitate the work of the office; and supporting work on projects, campaigns and the creation of resource mobilization strategies by preparing relevant documentation i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches and donor profiles;
- Mapping and managing the NA Rep Office’s stakeholder engagement to track partners interests, manage the office’s interactions, and to get the most out of relationships;
- Scheduling and coordinating meetings and, when necessary, preparing agendas, information papers, think-pieces, briefing notes and/or minutes of meetings;
- Preparing travel authorizations and travel arrangements for the office and facilitating approval from the DCS Directorate, as well as preparing visit programmes for the Chief and inward UNFPA Senior Management visits including hotel and event space management, ground transportation and comprehensive visit programmes;
- Organizing and providing administrative support to workshops, retreats, events and meetings for the office, including note-taking, facilitation, and preparations for communications and media handling;
- Supporting public speaking and presentations by the office, such as preparing speaking notes, PowerPoint presentations and creation of computer-generated visuals (e.g. graphs or infographics);
- Handling procurement processes and contracts, overseeing tenancy and service agreements, ensuring prompt payment of invoices and facilitating necessary correspondence;
- Researching and drafting responses to enquiries received by the office or following up requests for support or collaboration with external partners or for advice from internal partners;
- Supporting the monitoring of the office’s workplan and Strategic Information System/MyResults;
- Managing and filing of administrative files/documents on e.g. mission travel reports, briefings, notes to file etc.;
- To carry out any other duties as may be required by the Chief of the office and DCS Directorate, including administrative and logistical support related to the operationalization of the newly established office.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: University degree in a related field desirable
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years relevant work experience
- Proficiency in using spreadsheets/Excel, Word, PowerPoint and ATLAS, IBM Cognos Reporting, UNFPA accounting systems
- Good written and communication skills
- Fluency in English is required
- Candidates for this position must have a valid G-4 visa, be a valid USA Permanent Resident or a USA Citizen at the time of their application.
- Candidate must pass the UNGSST/ASAT to be appointed to this position.
- Other Desirable Skills: Strong problem-solving skills, organizational skills, evidence using your own initiative, working at pace, and evidence of sound judgment are highly desirable skills. A strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund, and dedication to the principles of the United Nations. Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced work environment where compliance with deadlines is critical. An ability to think clearly and plan effectively is also highly desired.
Disclaimer - WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.