Rotation: This post is rotational.
Duty Station: Lao, Vientiane
Duration: One year (renewable)
Closing date: 19 August 2022
Under the guidance of the Director of the respective Regional Office, the Representative post is located in a Country Office in a programme country and has overall responsibilities for UNFPA representation, policy, programme, finance, staff and office administration in her/his country of assignment. The Representative leads and motivates the UNFPA team in the development of innovative, relevant approaches for engagement on issues related to population and development, sexual and reproductive health and gender.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In the country of assignment, the UNFPA Representative plays the leading role in projecting the programme of the organization, promoting at the national level the goals of the programme and ensuring the integration of issues of reproductive health in the broader development agenda. Through empathetic engagement with national counterparts with effective advocacy on issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender, and presentation of valuable, well managed programmes, the UNFPA Representative serves on the frontline of the organization projecting a credible programme and validating both the mandate of the organization and its ability to deliver high quality services. Key activities include:
- Strategic direction, planning and management
- Programme leadership and representation
- Programme oversight and coordination
- Management of resources
Qualifications and Experience:
Post-graduate university degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which at least 8 years in the field of population and development at the international level;
- Job knowledge and technical expertise –up-to-date knowledge of issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender, and their place in the development agenda;
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results;
- Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing in English;
- Strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations; and;
- Field experience is essential.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click "Apply Now" below.