The Programme Adviser post is located in Dakar Regional Office and reports directly to the Deputy Regional Director who provides overall leadership. S/He is the principal programme adviser in the Regional Office, providing country offices with guidance, assistance and support on all programming and policy issues. The Programme Adviser is part of a team, accountable for integrated programme and technical support within a system-strengthening approach which is fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy.
The Programme Adviser/Coordinator provides strategic programming and policy support to ensure that the Fund’s programmes policies and external relations in the region are firmly placed in the context of: the ICPD Programme of Action; national development processes and frameworks; the continental agenda, the global development agenda; the achievement of the MDGs; and the process of UN reform.
Key results of Programme Adviser include:
- Establishment and Coordination of key networks.
- Policy dialogue
- Focal point with HQ on UN affairs, policy external relations and resource mobilization related matters
- Region-wide advisory services
The Programme Advisor is the focal point for specific aspects of UNFPA’s policy, advocacy issues as well as has his/her own portfolio in liaison with the RO/SROs. The Programme Adviser also provides management advice, as related to the job’s activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced University Degree or equivalent in public health, medicine, sociology, demography, gender, economics, international relations, international development, public administration, management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in development programmes, of which seven years at the international level.
- 10 years progressively responsible national and international professional experience in sexual and reproductive health, population and development, gender, advocacy, management and evaluation.
- Strong track record of leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender.
- Extensive network within the development community.
- Experience in programme and/or technical assistance with the UN System
- UN inter-agency experience in a strong asset.
- Familiarity with ICT/ERP and other management and monitoring tools is an asset.
- Field experience is required.
- Fluency in English required.
- French language skills an advantage.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.