Full/Part time: Full-Time
Duration: 11 months
Location: This position will be done remotely until UNFPA HQ reopens in September, at which point there is the possibility of working on-site.
The position of Writer and Editor is located in the Media and Communications Branch, Division for Communications & Strategic Partnerships. The position reports to the Editor (acting Senior Editor and Communication Adviser), Media and Communications Branch.
The Writer and Editor will be responsible for sourcing, conceptualizing, developing, writing and editing content for UNFPA. Written content will be created and edited both individually and in collaboration with others, and will include news stories, content for interactive reports, longer form features, video scripts, key messages and other materials.
- Editing and copyediting text, including for internal and external audiences
- Providing highly collaborative editorial support to major campaigns and flagship reports
- Working collaboratively with HQ and field colleagues to conceptualize and source content
- Ensuring written and photographic content is accurate, appropriate, timely, optimized for search engines, engaging and conforms to UNFPA’s high ethical, branding and editorial standards
Qualifications / Education:
Undergraduate university degree in Journalism, Communications or a similar field. An advanced university degree is an advantage.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least five years of relevant professional experience in magazine writing, journalism, report writing, technical writing or editing or other editorial areas; additional experience, in particular international experience, is an advantage
- Superb writing and editing skills, including a strong understanding of storytelling as well as a strong background in editorial work
- Close attention to detail
- Strong commitment to ethical storytelling
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and co-creation skills required.
- Self-starter and team player who is proactive and has passion for the issues
- Ability to manage time, prioritize (according to organizational priorities)
- Knowledge of public relations or marketing skills; familiarity with approaches for planning, executing and monitoring communications strategies and campaigns desirable
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae/resume, and a writing sample relevant to the work/mission of UNFPA to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Writer and Editor Consultancy” in the subject line.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.