This Strategy focuses on empowering women and adolescent girls and reaffirms UNFPA’s commitments to supporting the realization of international commitments and resolutions. It also complements the implementation of the UNFPA 2018–2021 Strategic Plan.
With a focus on strengthening action-oriented institutional accountability and implementing an integrated approach that is rights-based, participatory, people-centred, transformative, evidence and results-based, the Strategy will:
- promote gender equality and women’s and girls’ empowerment particularly for those most left behind;
- improve women’s and adolescent girls’ sexual and reproductive health and rights;
- address gender-based violence and harmful practices in all contexts including child, early and forced marriage, female genital mutilation, son preference and the undervaluing of girls;
- engage men and boys;
- strengthen capacities for gender data/statistics collection, analysis and use;
- facilitate greater engagement with young people;
- develop capacity and strengthen systems for implementing women’s and adolescent girls’ rights as specified in international treaties/ resolutions.
View a brief of the Gender Equality Strategy here.