Duration: 11 working days
Location: Remote, supporting UNFPA Eastern Europe & Central Asia Regional Office
Background & Scope of work
The Regional EECA MenEngage Platform, coordinated by UNFPA EECARO and Country Offices in the region, is an alliance comprising of non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, government representatives, academics and UN partners across 17 countries in the Eastern Europe and Central Asia region. The EECA MenEngage Platform members aim to work collectively and individually to generate, disseminate and exchange knowledge and information on engaging men and boys in gender equality and addressing masculinities as an approach to gender-transformative programming, and provide a space for capacity development, and be a collective for joint actions for gender justice. Through this regional alliance, we seek to provide a collective voice on the need to challenge harmful gender norms, including through the engagement of men and boys alongside women and girls, to build and improve the field of practice around gender-transformation and advocating before policymakers at local, national and regional levels.
In order to ensure approaches related to engaging men and boys in gender justice are inclusive, UNFPA aims to develop a report on ways to mainstream disability in such approaches.
The consultant will work as part of a team (one Masculinities Expert and one Disability Rights Experts) to undertake an analysis of issues related to disabilities and masculinities in the region and of approaches and practices around mainstream disability in men’s engagement. The overall deliverable will be a report on ways to mainstream disability in men's engagement for gender equality, with a specific focus on issues of gender transformative programming, gender-based violence, sexual reproductive health, humanitarian. The consultancy should take into account UNFPA’s mandate and programmes in the region (including, but not restricted to, gender transformative programming, ending GBV, SRH, youth, demographic resilience).
The team of consultants will jointly undertake the following activities (each contributing 11 work days):
- Initial outline of the report
- Gather information to develop the report
- Develop a technical brief on mainstreaming disability in men’s engagement
- Webinar to validate the report and present the findings for COs
The Disability Rights Expert consultant will be responsible for all research, inputs, technical expertise and sections related to disability rights issues and mainstreaming disability issues within approaches to engage men and boys in gender equality. The Disability Rights Expert will work closely with the Masculinities Expert to ensure issues of disability rights are mainstreamed within men’s engagement approaches.
Master’s Degree in International Development, Gender Studies, Social Studies or related field
- Min 7 years of professional experience in the area of Gender, Masculinities, Disability, Development, Economy, Political or Social Studies or related field;
- Experience of development of guidance and frameworks based on context analysis and mapping of best practices and case studies, stakeholder mapping, analytical reports;
- Experience of working on disability rights’ issues, disability and inclusion mainstreaming within gender programmes and/or gender transformative programming.
- Strong analytical skills;
- Previous experience of working in the region is an asset;
- Previous experience in delivering similar assignments;
- The experience of work with the UN is an asset.
- Language Requirement - Excellent spoken and written skills in English. Knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Corporate Competencies - Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards; Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability; Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
How to apply
Interested candidates must submit their applications, including a CV and one-page cover letter, in an e-mail to email@example.com with “Application – MenEngage Disability Rights Expert” in the subject line by closing date. Due to the volume of applications, only short-listed applicants will be notified.
Disclaimer: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.