The Communications and Resource Mobilisation Specialist is responsible for providing strategic advice and hands-on content creation and support, to ensure the best possible coverage for UNFPA’s mandate in the Asia and Pacific region and to contribute towards effective and efficient donor relations management. The incumbent will help coordinate and produce relevant, high quality and results-driven communication materials and content for a range of audiences and stakeholders, including media, donors/funders and private sector partners.
You will help establish and maintain effective working relationships with partners, donors, UNFPA Country offices and representatives of all types of media, including traditional and digital media, news networks, services and agencies.
You will work in an integrated manner with the programme and technical staff at the UNFPA Asia and the Pacific Regional Office (APRO) to raise visibility for the outputs and outcomes of the UNFPA Asia-Pacific Regional Programme and the Global Strategic Plan, underpinned by the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Communications Adviser and with a dotted line to the Regional Resource Mobilisation and Partnerships Adviser, you will support the coordination of communication and creation of critical content, as well as contribute towards the implementation of the Regional Office’s resource mobilisation and partnerships strategy.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the UN’s sexual and reproductive health agency, taking the lead in delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s current Global Strategic Plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices against women and girls.
In the face of challenges resulting from growing conservatism and pushback on gender equality and human rights, as well as opportunities to reach multiple audiences via technology and create new partnerships while strengthening current relationships with governments, civil society, funders/donors and media, UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results.
We need principled and ethical staff, who embody human rights norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In a complex operating environment, you will play a vital role in supporting the Communications and Resource Mobilisation and Partnership Units in coordinating and supporting communication, media and fundraising and partnerships activities around key project priorities and events in the areas of sexual and reproductive health, gender and population and development.
You will ensure that substantial programme events, success stories and good practices, along with challenges and gaps that must be addressed, are well documented and communicated in social, broadcast and print media, highlighting the roles of the donor community and partners.
You will help support and strengthen the close collaboration between the Communications and Resource Mobilisation and Partnerships Units, ensuring that the content created, with a focus on storytelling with a human face, demonstrates the crucial impact UNFPA has across the Asia-Pacific region, and demonstrates the return on investment made by donors/funders and other partners. You will also provide support to UNFPA country offices in the region through review and oversight of key external documents such as donor reports, proposals and drafting briefing notes for engagement with donors.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s) in communications, media relations, journalism or relevant social sciences
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in communications, advocacy, social marketing, resource mobilisation and partnerships, or other relevant fields;
• Substantive knowledge and practical experience in communications and partnerships strategy development;
• Knowledge of donor policies and procedures a distinct advantage;
• Experience in editing/reviewing of donor agreements and reports;
• Proven experience of managing partners or a strong track record of developing effective partnerships with donors, media and other stakeholders
• Strong experience in digital and social media, including content creation, analytics, digital strategy and digital engagement
• Excellent research and writing skills, with experience in writing reports, e-newsletters, fact-sheets, talking points, brochures, video production and developing multimedia web content;
• Experience in the use of office and creative software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based content management systems. Experience of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro and Illustrator is strongly desirable;
• Field experience is strongly desirable;
• Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required; Working knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.