Young professionals of African descent - Programme Analyst, Strategic Partnerships
About the programme
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has launched a new programme to hire young talent of African descent. The Young Professionals of African Descent programme is a starting point for an exciting career with the United Nations, aiming to attract motivated young professionals with diverse academic and professional backgrounds.
Open to qualified candidates who are 32 years of age or younger in 2021, who self-identify as a person of African descent or are an African national, the programme offers an opportunity for selected candidates to gain hands-on experience in a fast-paced, international environment and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles in international development.
In 2021, UNFPA will recruit five young professionals to join the team at the UNFPA headquarters in New York. The young professionals will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package with an initial one-year fixed-term appointment at the P-2 level, renewable at least once, subject to satisfactory performance.
The Position: The Programme Analyst, Strategic Partnerships
The Programme Analyst, Strategic Partnerships position is part of the UNFPA Young Professionals of African Descent (YP-AD) programme. The YP-AD programme is intended to provide on-the-job training for young professionals up to 32 years of age who wish to obtain practical experience in international development and have the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across the organization.
You will report directly to the Strategic Partnerships Specialist, Strategic Partnership Branch, Division of Communications & Strategic Partnerships.
Job title: Programme Analyst, Strategic Partnerships
Location: New York, USA
Full/Part time: Full Time
Fixed term/Temporary: FTA
Rotational/Non Rotational: Non-Rotational
Duration: 1 Year
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Under the overall direction of the Chief of the Strategic Partnerships Branch, the Programme Analyst, Strategic Partnerships will assist the Strategic Partnerships Specialist in the development, management and coordination of brainpower partnerships with academic institutions and the fashion sector.
You would be responsible for:
TransformU Academic Network
- Support the TransformU Coordination Committee in the development and finalization of background documents for the network, including the strategy and roadmap;
- Development of a Student Ambassador Programme, including through the engagement and outreach to students and student groups from participating universities;
- Development and dissemination of communication material about the TransformU network, opportunities for universities to collaborate, and schedule of events and outreach to additional universities;
- Coordination of TransformU events and initiatives, including joint research relevant to the priorities highlighted in the new UNFPA Strategic Plan (2022 – 2025);
- Day-to-day secretariat coordination for the TransformU network.
- Coordination of the initiatives aiming to promote gender equality through fashion;
- Support to the development of an educational module on fashion for social change and gender equality in two countries;
- Support to the development of communication material and visibility initiatives to raise awareness on the role and impact of inclusive fashion for gender equality;
- Support to the expansion of the inclusive fashion portfolio.
- Support the organization of visibility events and the development of communication assets around the strategic partnerships in the portfolio;
- Assistance to the portfolio through the organization of coordination and working groups meetings with UNFPA teams and partners;
- Development of concept documents and business cases to be pitched to existing and prospective partners.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Development Studies or similar field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two years of experience in partnership building, resource mobilization and/or project coordination in areas relevant to UNFPA’s mandate;
- Experience working in an international setting and/or in a field location is an advantage;
- Familiarity with UN development programmes and working methods preferable;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members from different national and cultural backgrounds.
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages is an asset.