- Excerpts from: Ness, G. D. 2006. “Organizing for Urbanization in the Second Wave.” Draft paper prepared for this Report.
- Based on: Cavric, B., et al. 2003. “Sustainable Urban Development in Gaborone, Botswana.” Report of the Designing, Implementing and Measuring Sustainable Urban Development (DIMSUD) Project of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. Zurich: Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
- Gharzeddine, O. 2007. UNFPA mission report.
- Excerpted from: Seager, A. 10 November 2006. “Africa’s Largest Slum: Where Youngsters Play among Bags Full of Raw Sewage.” The Guardian.
- See the website of the Huairou Foundation: www.huairou.org/index.html, last accessed 7 March 2007.
- United Nations. 2005. Women 2000 and Beyond: Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women in ICT, p. 7. New York: Division for the Advancement of Women, United Nations.
- See: Mitlin, D. 2001. “Civil Society and Urban Poverty: Examining Complexity.” Environment and Urbanization 13(2): 151-173.
- See the website of the Self Employed Women’s Association: http://sewa.org/, accessed 15 February 2007.
- McGranahan, G. 12 January 2007. Personal communication.
- Source: Guerra, E. 2002. “Citizenship Knows No Age: Children’s Participation in the Governance and Municipal Budget of Barra Mansa, Brazil.” Environment and Urbanization 14(2): 71–84.
- Based on: Ness, G. D. 2006. “Organizing for Urbanization in the Second Wave.” Draft paper prepared for this Report.
- Based on: Hakkert, R. 2007. “Three Notes on Central Issues in Poverty and Urbanization.” Draft paper prepared for this Report.
- Angel, S., S. C. Sheppard, and D. L. Civco. 2005. The Dynamics of Global Urban Expansion, p. 12. Washington, D.C.: Transport and Urban Development Department, the World Bank.
- Rodriguez, J., and G. Martine. 2006. “Urbanization in Latin America: Experiences and Lessons Learned,” p. 16. Draft paper prepared for this Report.
- Skeldon, R. 2005. “Migration and Poverty Reduction: Linkages between Migration and Poverty: The Millennium Development Goals and Population Mobility,” p. 57. Ch. 3 in: International Migration and the Millennium Development Goals: Selected Papers of the UNFPA Expert Group Meeting: Marrakech, Morocco, 11-12 May 2005, by UNFPA. 2005. New York: UNFPA.
- Hakkert, R. 2007. “Three Notes on Central Issues in Poverty and Urbanization.” Draft paper prepared for this Report.February 2006.
- Based on: Smolka, M., and A. Larangeira. 2006. “Informality and Poverty in Latin American Urban Policy.” Draft paper prepared for this Report.
- Text summarized and adapted from: Angel, S. 2006. “Preparing for Urban Expansion in Intermediate Cities in Ecuador: A World Bank Project Focusing on Access to Land for the Urban Poor.” Draft paper prepared for this Report.
- Source: Yu Zhu, Xinhua Qi, Huaiyou Shao, and Kaijing He, Centre for Population and Development Research, Fujian Normal University. 11 January 2007. Personal communication.
- Information for much of this box comes from: International Development Research Centre. n.d. “Growing Better Cities.” Slide Presentation. Ottawa, Canada: International Development Centre. Website: www.idrc.ca/in_focus_cities/ev-95429-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html, accessed 6 February 2007.
- International Development Research Centre. 2006. Shaping Livable Cities: Stories of Progress Around the World, p. 27. Ottawa, Canada: International Development Centre.
- Based on an article by: Etienne, J., Department of Infrastructure and Urban Development, French Development Agency. 2006. “Access to Water and Sanitation Services in the Districts of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso).” Villes en développement. No. 72–73: 9-10; and on project monitoring by J. Etienne.
- This box is based mostly on: Roberts, S. 26 November 2006. “Bloomberg Administration is Developing Land Use Plan to Accommodate Future Populations,” p. 39. The New York Times.
- UN Millennium Project. 2006. Public Choices, Private Decisions: Sexual and Reproductive Health and the Millennium Development Goals, pp. 36-40. New York: UNDP.
- Hakkert, R. 2007. “Three Notes on Central Issues in Poverty and Urbanization.” Note prepared for this Report.
- UN Millennium Project 2006, pp. 36-40.
- Kretzmann, J. P., and J. L. McKnight. 1997. Building Communities from the Inside Out: A Path Toward Finding and Mobilizing a Community’s Assets. Chicago, Illinois: ACTA Publications.
- Asian Coalition for Housing Rights. 2001. “Building an Urban Poor People’s Movement in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.” Environment and Urbanization 13(2): 61-72. Cited in Carolini, G. 2006. “Community Organizations of the Urban Poor: Realizing the MDGs and Planning for Urban Population Growth,” p. 9. Paper prepared for this Report.
- Weru, J. 2004. “Community Federations and City Upgrading: The Work of Pamoja Trust and Muungano in Kenya.” Environment and Urbanization 16(1): 47-62. Cited in: Carolini 2006, p. 9.
- Smaoun, S. 2002. “Women’s Safety Audits.” Habitat Debate 8(4): p. 13.
- Peñalosa, E. 1 November 2006. Personal communication.